Tuesday, April 26, 2011

GK so far…

Craptastic, wrote out a whole long thing and it was apparently lost in the warp…


 

Mkay, here it goes again…


 

Ran our lists against a Wolf Drop Pod force… It did not go well for the Wolves. The Brotherhood Champion was awesome, the Xenos Inquisitor was "OK", would have been much better if I had remembered to use his Psytropic Grenades the one time the Purifiers assaulted… The BHC is just Hell on Wheels against enemy IC's if he gets the charge off… I remembered to reroll the attacks, forgot to re-roll the "to wound" roll (Anointed Blade), and forgot to roll for either Hammerhands or the Grenades from the Inquisitor… Didn't matter, the Rune Priest that had the unfortunate luck to be in the way had no INV save, so 2 wounds finished him. The Purifiers made short work of the remaining Long Fangs. Did bring up an interesting one, and as much as I've played Force Weapons, I have never tried to use them activated to Instant Death (ID) anything… Is that a Psychic Power, vulnerable to Rune Weapon/Librarian Hoods nullification? It's never come up for me since either the Power Weapon effect was sufficient or the Librarian was fighting a hopeless battle trying to hold until I could bring TH/SS reinforcements or time ran out :-)…


 

So far, what have I learned?


 

The Strike Squad is actually not bad at all… 110 points for the 5 lads and one Psycannon, the Razorback was more, but still, it fought as an ICV, dropping them in cover over the objective and wandered off to be a light tank. We won the game the way we did due to the 12" Warp Quake bubble keeping the Deep Strikers far enough away to completely neutralize them. The squad them was able to open up on a Grey hunter squad and decimate it (in concert with other shooting), but the giant "Interdiction Zone" they present is game changing.


 

Purifiers are awesome. Mkay, that's a given, and were they Troops, doubt anyone would take anything else. I can see Crowe or a GM making these guys troop equivalents a big deal, and at least with Crowe, there is a limit to the other support you can give them with only one HQ slot still open there. Balance, so that's good I guess… Still, I can see taking a squad of 10, 4 Psycannon and Combat Squadding them to give myself a "Devastator Squad" and an assault element. That this comes to the same point cost as the Purgation Squad is a bit confusing to me, and I guess it is a good thing I don't plan on taking the "Dev squad" for my GK ever… I think these lads will be awesome coming out of a Storm Raven to assault… Team Tournament at Adepticon next year, BA/GK team will be pretty rough to stop… Still, I'll likely bring my DA as part of the team…


 

Terminators… I missed them, will probably go back to them as my Troops selection, or at least one of them next week. Rock solid, and only really lacking the 3++ that I got spoiled on with my Deathwing force. Forgot to pick up more magnets at the Gopher last night, will have to remember next week… And decide which plastic kit I snag, the PA or Terminators… Probably PA since I doubt I'll field more than 15-20 Terminators in a GK force…


 

Have a few ideas for next week, only a few more things I can test at this point level I think, so good that the league is winding down I guess… Probably Terminators, Strike Squad and… "more" I guess..


 

Finally got my tax return, so I can actually start my bike purchase in earnest… Really looking forward to that.


 

Oh, and if anyone is looking for ancient C&R firearms or the like, let me know, I have a few spares to get rid of…

3 comments:

  1. Yup psy hoods/ rune weapons can nullify rolled for force weapon activation. They state whaen a psy test is passed. They don't say power just successful psy tests can be nullified. That is why I love my Rune Priests, well until now since Greys are popping up a lot in my community. I'll just switch back to Ork mobs if it continues.

    So if they survive Grey Knight doom, psy hoods/ rune weapons in range can potentially ruin some Grey Knight stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I'd assume they would also work against ones activated by Brotherhood Banners, but weird wording due to the no actual roll needed by the BHB... :-) But, I'm just an Engineer, not a lawyer... All the more reason to almost auto include Librarian/Rune Priests in most "for general use" lists... 'course, only a few things in any of my lists would be more vulnerable to ID than simply being hacked to pieces by the massed power/force weapon attacks... Typically the armies most hurt by these (for me at least) are the ones that do not have hoods or the like of their own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you roll for a pys power/force weapon they work. If force weapons just activate with no role then they won't work. Doesn't the banner just make their nemesis weapons just work with no role?

    No roll can't be stopped. If roll can be stopped.

    Firce weapons are cool, but the instant death ability is rarley needed. Most stuff will fall just fine from massed power weapons and hammerhand.

    ReplyDelete