Monday, January 23, 2012

IA 11....

Well, on my initial read through of the book...  Well, I do think that the next edition's Eldar are being revealed a bit at a time.  BS 4 seems to be a running theme.  FAST.  The DE move fast and fire everything looks like it goes army wide...  The D-Cannon looks like it gets deadly again, and they start to bring out more low AP weapons...

Which brings me to what I am thinking might well be at least a slightly broken thing...  Corsair list gives them Troops that are AMAZING...  The current codex has a LOT of Troop choices, but by and large they are all mediocre at best.  The Corsair squad, maxxed out at 10 with all the good options comes to 175.  Jet Packs giving the Tau (well, "rulebook", but the Tau are the only ones who have it) move/shoot/move with Relentless... The squad would have 2 Fusion Guns (Melta Guns) and 2 Eldar Missile Launchers...  The basic troops have Assault 2 weapons with 24" range, so a crapton of Str 3 shots on a highly mobile platform...  Just concerned that it is getting cheap to throw out a bunch of really good shots in terms of high Str and low AP without much of a disadvantage...  And they can deep strike, shoot and move to scatter...  Might be a bit too good for ~200 points...  Mind, no clue whatever if the Eldar will get the same options as the Corsairs, but since that's where the tech originated...

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I must agree. i would like to see the Eldar get some help, but not so much that they become the cheese army that they used to be. Would like to see them be a fast moving, decent army again that CAN hust people.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Ja, I was in the basement a bit over the weekend, dug up my 3E codexes (codii?) just to read over them a bit... I remember I stopped playing Cheddar for a while there once the Craftworld book came out... My Rangers got way overpowered, having the d6 roll at the beginning of the game to do "bad things to bad people", and if I wanted I could actually field my Court of the Young King and Aspect Warriors as troops... I have to admit that watching the general power level spiraling up again it does make me a bit nervous that the 6th (I REALLY hope it waits for the new edition) edition Eldar book will go back to being way overpowered... Already seeing loads of three shot AP 3 weapons with high(ish) STR in DE/Necron hands, so seeing the Star Cannon go back to 3 shots and get a point decrease is looking more likely...

    Having said that though, having more viable Troop selections would be REALLY nice, and cleaning up the rest of the stuff to make the book "mostly useful" rather than the I can build one of 2 options to play competitively, ignore the rest of the book, don't bother to dust off most of your minis... :-) 'course, just my opinion as always...

    ReplyDelete