Friday, March 16, 2012

Airborne!

Yeah, after a LONG ride on the bike split by a bit of maintenance on her, digging out some of my old FOW minis...  Surprisingly a degree in Mechanical Engineering does NOT make one a Mechanic :-)...  But I really like the older, simpler bikes...  Nothing subtle, and with the manual and a decent set of tools, very little I cannot fix on her.  And it feels REALLY good to be able to fix minor things and feel the ride smooth out...

But on to the Flames of War stuff...  Looking like I have the bulk of my Airborne force (82nd :-)  I spent some time there, and in the 3rd Armored)...  Not sure how many stands of Infantry I have, but saw 5 Howitzers (the light Air transported ones...), "several" Mortar teams, etc...  Some silly things too like a Lee/Grant platoon...  I suppose I'll have to break down and order the rulebooks, etc. from the Gopher...  Not looking like the free mini 3rd ed book is still being given away, so no real need to dig up my 2nd ed stuff :-)...

6 comments:

  1. If you have the 2nd ed book, they will give you the 3rd free. No purchase required.

    Who would you play against? I am interested but don't know a lot of folks that play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked at the FOW website, it appears that promo is over, and I've waited too long :-) Playing against... Not at all sure, though with Dan coming back here July(ish) IIRC he had a decent German force... Mostly just something different to look at and paint... Let me be a bit more specific, something different and NOT from a dead game like my mass of other minis down in the basement of doom.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are teeny tiny, and very fiddly- which means any attempt I make at painting them would fail, but I hear you on "something different"

      Delete
  3. But is not "detail"... Usually I was doing boots, uniforms, helmets, faces... Pretty simple really compared to the 40K "28mm" scale...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...I've got a whole boatload of early war US for Tunisia/North Africa, as I have been thinking about refighting Kassrine Pass and Kerns Crossroads, including a light tank company of Stuarts and Lees. I have some German stuff, but have yet to paint any of it.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo! I knew there were other people with 15mm stuff out there... Just another one of the games I got into a bit... Turned out the American artillery rules were simply TOO good in 1st ed, and was unfun for all involved... Looking to read up and see if they are still broken the same way...

    ReplyDelete