Saturday, July 7, 2012

More 6th ed stuff...

Mkay, got a bit more reading in...  And the more I see, the more I think the time of the Dreadnoughts and other vehicles dominating the game is past...  With grenades hitting on a straight WS roll, and normal vehicles having WS 1 if they move, 0 if not...  Even DNs get hit basically on a 4+, so Krak, Melta and Haywire grenades hit a LOT...  OK, the Krak are not nearly so much a threat, but even Guardsmen these days can hurt most DNs...  Any normal vehicles getting caught by Infantry are simply going to be wrecked I think.  Needing fliers or Infantry screens seems the way things are now...

Eldar are looking pretty good in general.  Or at least something I can work with.  Eldrad is still so much better than the regular Farseers, but I guess I'll eventually use a normal Seer, if only to try the new powers.  MOST of the book is still crap (OK, this is all just my opinion, YMMV) being written for a game 2 editions ago...  And the new rules REALLY hurt some of it.  Help some, the Ranger/Pathfinders seem like they'll do fine.  Warp Spiders are now better than they were in 5th, and since they were a staple for me there, guessing they will continue to be so for me.  Support Weapons look like they will be REALLY good.

Now the other side...  Scorpions are now completely useless for what I used them for in the past (flanking and hitting the backfield), Dark Reapers with the Str 5 weapon simply doesn't cut it as AA/AT, so despite AP 3 it really is just expensive and useless.  Especially compared to say Long Fangs...  I WANT to make them work, but I really am not seeing it.

Somewhere in the middle for me are the Swooping Hawks, Banshees and Wraithlord.  Cover saves for the Lord, he is a Character so can challenge, etc...  Banshees, I'll give them another shot with Fleet, Doom, etc...  We'll see :-)

2 comments:

  1. Did you try out your Eldar monday night?

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes :-) reply in the next posting... REalized it was going to be a long one, so...

    ReplyDelete