Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Fleshtearers are a FAST army...

:-)  Playing the way I do at least...  Not fast like a lot of folks seem to think, "We'll be in contact by turn 3-4"...  I'm playing it that I drop on top of them on turn one, turn 2 I am usually in Assault either by dropping Vanguard Vets right in or my DC/Jump Troopers have made it to contact.  The 12" move and up to 12" Assault move mean that if you are OK taking risks, you can move REALLY fast...

The trouble is supporting the fast movers.  I have found the Baal Predator, especially with the Flamethrower turret and HB sponsons to be a good way to throw down a fast tank that can help root out even 3+ armor hiding in cover (Str 6, AP 3 template)...  The flame sponsons are still fairly worthless I think, still can fire 2 going fast I guess, but that means you ALWAYS have a weapon you do not fire if you move at all, no snap fire option for the templates...  Now to finish painting my ancient model and getting it fully WYSIWYG...

Debating changing out the leader of the force...  Dropping a Librarian in won't likely work as they cannot cast powers (well, the ones I want them to) coming in from Deep Strike...  Tycho looks amusing for a stand in Captain, but the "general" FAQ seems a bit short here as his attacks in HtH which "ignore armor" are now AP what?  There is no defined weapon really to say "It is a Power Sword that also grants 'armor bane'"...  Which is how I'll likely play it, and hope I don't run across anyone who really wants to argue it out :-)  Seems the most reasonable, but...  Mephiston is still a possibility, but at 250 points?  That is a LOT of my army in a single model that has no Inv save...  Yes, T6, 4 Wounds, so hard to kill, but 250 points is a Land Raider or a squadron of Land Speeders easily...

Did forget to mention I will be looking to put them in with a Sternguard drop pod :-)...  The Medic in Terminator Armor (Sanguinary Priest, but "Medic" just sounds better to an old timer like me) dropped in with a short squad and CPT Tycho would seem like a pretty formidable little package hitting the table with Meltas blazing, a few 2+  saves and FnP for the lot of them...  Gives me a few Power Weapons in the squad as well, and I have been REALLY liking the Heavy Flamer option for one of the Sternguard (converting a weapon now, waiting for the Green Stuff to cure) as a quick couple of hits and the discouragement of a risky charge in... Still a LOT of points that would be wasted against a cheap horde force, or anything without one or more big targets...

2 comments:

  1. Corbulo's 2+ Fnp may be something to consider as well. Simply LoS any.instakills that come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he would probably be quite good :-)... Better in fact than CPT Tycho I'd guess. However, trying to stay "Fleshtearers", and I think that a Captain who has gone berserk fits the FT fairly well... :-) Won't call him "Tycho" of course... Seth is "OK", and having used him in several battles, he kills light/medium vehicles really well, but struggles against 3+ armor... And losing one of his 2 special rules makes it "eh" in HtH with an AP - weapon effectively...

    Playing a "hobby" league now, and going more with my interpretation of how I'd be doing things were I in charge... For instance, issuing the Sternguard special issue ammo to the remaining Tactical Squads, and in FT fashion, dropping them right into the thick of it. They'll be Veterans quickly, at least those who survive... The "Regulars" I suspect will be fighting hard to stay alive, so at the "Vet" level for normal Marine Chapters :-)...

    ReplyDelete