Wednesday, February 27, 2013

1K for the next League... So Fleshtearers?

Looking like we're doing a simple(ish) team games league next...  Each player brings 1000 points to be teamed up...  Will I think at the least alleviate the table situation we are facing at the moment.  Despite what is happening elsewhere (referencing Stelek's comments on http://yesthetruthhurts.com/), our local group has only grown recently to the point that on Mondays we actually have folks waiting for the first run of games to conclude before they can get a table.  7-8  tables I think is pretty much the maximum we can really have in play, so after the first 16 players are set usually we have a "second wave" showing up in the 6:30-7 range to get in another round... This should get us all playing and moving along...

Only down side I see is the caveat of you CAN bring a 2000 point force and just play that.  Great if it is just the "when there are an odd number of players" thing, but someone wanting to play an "I'm here to win, whatever the cost" army will have a MUCH easier time bringing a hard to beat force at 2000 points than 1000 + partner.  Example being if I bring a Sternguard Squad in a 1K list, I cannot max it out and still have a  force that can still win on it's own.  At 2K, the bells, whistles and maxxed out Squad still is in the 300-400 point range, so not a problem as that will be the "First Blood" hunter and probably "Warlord Assassin Team".  I could even bring in an "Ally" in Pedro Cantor and make them Scoring...  Other examples abound, mostly with the maximum number of say, good/broken Fliers packed into the list and then filler Troops.  NOT saying I see anyone doing this locally, by and large we are more of a "fun" group than cut throat win at all cost group...  Just that the possibility exists.

Guessing I will field my reconstructed "Storm Raven" (Vendetta conversion I picked up in a trade)...  Just seeing WAY too many Fliers hitting the table, and with decent rolls this could provide me with a counter to a small horde (3-4) of the enemy vehicles without going that route myself.  At 1K, I have much more "limited" options for AAA otherwise, so I am rather hoping NOT to be facing a lot of them across the table.  So, that more or less defines 20% of my force...  Full Squads of Jump Troops run me in the low 200's as well.  Scouts are a possibility as well, but even they are almost 200...  Not as versatile, but having camping Snipers HAS won me several games...  Counting on them to actually kill shit?  Not so much...

What I'd LIKE to field would be a Jump Pack equipped Death Company (Yeah, I've been playing THAT since 3rd ed...  Hasn't always been "good", but now other than the "Can Never Score" thing, they are quite good), the DC DN, something in a decent HtH Character and Vanguard Vets to back up my Sternguard...  At 2K, I can do this.  1K no...  The Heavy Tank forces are starting to make a comeback, so the ability to drop in Melta on top of them and shoot or Assault out of Deep Strike with Melta Bombs/Fists is HUGE.    I don't have a Horde/crowd control option like with the DA Banner list, but figure I can shoot well enough and selectively engage in HtH...  Tyranid hordes will be a problem, but not many play them locally...  And even then, play the mission, not the Army, I've beaten the Tyranid swarms with armies that should not have survived before...  :-)  Maybe I can do it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment