Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Forgeworld saving the game?

Ok, feeling a bit like an idiot...  I've been playing the Consecrators, a Dark Angels force for a while now, and it was just pointed out to me that Forgeworld updated their stuff for 6th Edition and added a few rules to the "Mortis" class DN.  So, it is limited to DA and successors, but it is MUCH cheaper and it gains the same "Mortis" rule as the Contemptor class DN, if it stands still in the movement phase it gains Interceptor and Skyfire.  So, now only 125 points for the 2 x TL Auto Cannon DN, AND it can do Interceptor/Skyfire/AAA duty?  So...  Where's the down side again?  I was trying to scrimp and save enough points wise to keep using the Hyperion missile emplacements, but this is WAY better...  And as it happens I have "a few" DN hulls around, some of them even magnetized and painted up in my DA colors...  Might even be worth it for me to run the TL Lascannon one :-)  Just to be able to regularly throw 2 LC shots into fliers hitting the table...

Have to say, I was dreading using my Tactical Marines in any real way, but this information does make my a LOT more comfortable bringing the lads out to play, even with limited Flak missile use.  Though, as my ancient "Beakies" are almost all armed with the original weapons of Missile Launcher and Flamer...  I am a BIT limited there for the moment until I break out more of the lads from their deep storage, but still, Azrael leading out a few Tac Squads, DW Squads and RW Squadrons for an all scoring army seems like it will work with DA DN's able to provide AAA support easily enough...  Hmmmm...  I may have a "slight change" for my regular 1850 list...  And with the datafiles for the old 2nd ed Armybuilder program being updated (http://ab240k.freeforums.org/, it is MUCH easier :-)...

Sad to me that it looks so much like an afterthought from Forgeworld that will make the DA codex actually quite playable against the overload of flier silliness that seems to be hitting the tables...  Further convinces me that GW does not seem to play the same game we do, or at least not in anything resembling the same manner we play at least...  So much like the old "Planet Storm" game days where our local group would use the "K2 Shaw" (think an Artillery version of the Cyclone Missile armed Terminator), and make comments like "What to do once the Artillery ammunition is depleted?"  The groups playing in LA and Canada were speachless as they bitterly complained how useless the unit was, and how they'd never get more than a single shot off...  Turns out we played on a 4'x8' or 5'x10' table, they usually played on a 4'x4' table...  And by turn 2, you were at pistol/SMG range making board ranging Artillery and sniper rifles "less useful"...  Have to wonder if there is something like that going on, or if it just that they really do not play at all and so don't see the same issues and problems that we as players do...

No comments:

Post a Comment