Friday, April 5, 2013

Claws = Crap for Wolves?

:-)  Yeah, trying hard to rebuild my ancient Wolves army...  Finding the running theme of Claw = Crap though.

So, Blood Claws, I can have up to 15 crappy Marines.  Iff I have 15, I can get a second Special Weapon, but I shoot WORSE than IG.  At least around here, Vet Squads hit the field a lot... I can get a single Power Weapon...  Yea?  Oh, and unless I have them on leashes the give up their shooting attacks and try to charge.  I can get a special character...  But wait, the rules for Loki or Lukas do not actually work until he is alone or in a Challenge.  They didn't work in 5th either, which led me to question whether the designers actually play the game...  To create a unit with so many special rules and a really nice miniature only to find out that it is massively overpriced (in game, $ wise I was fine with the figure) and confusing as the special rules were things that will NEVER actually occur in the course of a normal game...  In the edition the book was written in at least.  Now, well, he is a Character and so can Challenge/Accept Challenges...  So on the off chance you field them, AND he survives long enough to actually get into HtH, etc...  Eh.  Guessing I'll never see it actually fielded...

Sky Claws are overpriced Jump Infantry, and Swift Claws are overpriced Bikers...  Guess the bikes at least suck less.  Irks me as I still have the Jump Troops from 2nd edition, and I REALLY like Jump Troops...  Just that they have the Blood Claw disadvantages...  In one FAQ I WAS able to give a Wolf Guard a Jump Pack and assign him to the squad...  Then it got erased a few days later...  So, I can have wild berserkers on their own OR I could spend a bunch of points on an actual Character to kind of keep them in line until they get killed off..  Eh at best...

Wolf Claws?  So re-rolling either the to hit or to Wound...  I think I can honestly say I almost never use them as anything other than "Lightning Claws" for the re-roll on to wound, but...  Not horrible, but I'm having a hard time seeing it as worth it :-)...  A shame, I really like the weapon, just seldom use them, especially as they are AP 3 and by and large preclude shooting which the Wolves actually do quite well...  NOT as well as my Grey Knights, whose "claws" do not in fact prevent the shooting...

:-)  Painting coming along...  Grey Hunters are actually looking "tabletop good"...  Fur actually looks like fur, and fully painted army is looking possible...  The vehicles on the other hand...  Well, I have a LONG way to go on that...

No comments:

Post a Comment