Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Ever have one of those games?

:-)  Where EVERYTHING that could go wrong did?  Played partnered up with a DA player who brought a Ravenwing force...  Seemed a fairly decent one, I'm still unconvinced that the Black Knights are at all worth it, but on paper they look neat...  So, I had my Scouts behind enemy lines and my big Grey Hunter squad flanked with a Wolf Guard in Termi Armor and the Wolf Priest (who I had upgraded to Runic Armor)...  They both arrived on Turn 2, catching the enemy in their DZ lining up for some REALLY good rear arc shots...  Scouts missed with everything but the Plasma Pistol, which failed to penetrate the 11 Armor.  Next turn they were wiped out by a single weapon...  The Grey Hunters, despite a LOT of Preferred Enemy shooting, several Meltas, Plasma, etc...  Hit a Tau skimmer with a 4+ cover save...  All told with insane rolling on his part, a single HP got through (a Bolter glance).  Next turn the squad dropped to 2 Grey Hunters and the Priest...  Who split off and charged a separate unit as the Jaegers got shot out of existence on overwatch fire...  Oh, and after their lone flier came in to wipe out 1 squad/turn for both turns it was there my sole remaining model, a Razorback decided to suicide by doing 2 HP to ITSELF...  Twin linked Plasma Gun missed twice, snake eyes on re-roll followed by 2 fails on the "Gets Hot"...  Yea.  Perfect ending for that game though :-)  If you are going to fail, do so in an epic fashion...

Mostly a lot of bad dice on our side and really good dice on theirs...  Am thinking the Tau are going to be a powerful force though...  A LOT of twin linking, and the ability to "cover" each other with a metric crapload of overwatch fire makes charging with small units a difficult thing...  I think it will matter much less against a large force or one with really good defenses, etc...

Still having NO defenses against a flier for my Wolves really I think hurt almost as much as the failed end run...  With complete impunity the IG flier was able to just roll in, destroy one small squad/turn and there was nothing at all I could realistically do to prevent it...  Wonder if I will have to run a Land Raider or a Bastion to sit my AAA in...  Might wind up running the Raider just to see...

1 comment: