Sunday, April 27, 2014

Star Trek Attack Wing initial thoughts

So, now that I have a fair number of games in, I think I have a really good handle on the Klingons at least.  Have seen some really good builds in Dominion, Romulan and Klingon flavors...  The Federation I have been unimpressed with so far, but I'm building some fleets in that area, so I hope that they work out the way I think they will...

Have yet to face a Borg build.  I think the Klingons are in a pretty good place playing "pure" fleets against the Borg.  They have the Stasis field card, generally good but not one shot/one kill offensive power and a few other tricks.  I think the Klingon Boarding Party is one that was not used much before that will be brutal against some of the Borg/hero ship builds.  Martok and Gowron make for good support Captains and Chang seems like another one to mess with "hero" builds...  Disabled Captains going to Skill one and potentially messing with the Ship's actions.  At the very least it forces the disabled CPT to spend an action to re-enable if he is a higher Skill than Chang...  If a lower skill, then it potentially gives me more opportunity to destroy the ship before the now Skill one CPT can fire...  Seeing CPT Picard a LOT in many builds, having him disabled means that he at the very least loses the free action he provides, and it makes the target a Lot more predictable.  Concussive charges as well getting rid of tokens like say Ablative Armor or Borg Armor?  Have to check if those are tokens...

Hoping to get into one or more of the Tholian Web OPs...  Assuming the Gopher is running it next Month, but I know of a place in Indy running it...  Might be a day trip on the bike...  Have to admit I am FAR more interested in the Borg arc OP.  Wondering if the things like the Flagship and Fighters are going to be allowed going forward...  REALLY powerful Resources there, and with the rumor of Wizkids going to 120-150 points?  Well, they look even better...

But in any case, looking at running the Excelsior and ?...  Picard, perhaps Kahn?  Looking at what I have, the Enterprise-D, Voyager, Reliant?  Have the Fighters and Flagship cards too...  I can build some decent things I think, not sure it will be better than my Klingon ones though...  Different, will try to get in some games with them to learn how to use Battlestations, Scanning, etc...  Pretty sure I have Cloaking and Sensor Echo down...  Lookig for the OP2 prize pack for the Symon (?) card...  The 3 Sensor Echo is just huge, and I think it will be something to watch for...

2 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on only being able to get certain items if you play in sacntioned events (Fighters, etc.)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, specific to the local group at the Gopher I kind of like it as Bryon made sure that everyone had access to all of the stuff by the end of their first event... So I have the "uber" die, the Flagship cards, Fighters, etc... So, in our group, it is REALLY nice... People who do not have that access though? Honestly I am a bit annoyed about the LE ships themselves being so difficult to get, they do not appear to be MUCH more powerful (if at all) than the normal run of the mill ships, and overall the cards are not out of line with other things... Just wanting to get the whole say, Klingon or Federation set will prove "difficult" at this point as the LE ships are going for a lot on E-Bay... The non LE things are pretty accessible...

    Now, having said all of that, I have to say that the Flagship resources are REALLY powerful and well worth it in almost every case... Running my Federation Excelsior or IKW Kronos One with the Flagship card attached makes a decent ship a really good one and very difficult to easily take down. Stat bonuses, free actions AND some other in game effects? Probably one that is under costed at 10 points, and I have to say I am not looking forward to seeing a Bioship or Borg ship with the additional stuff on it...

    ReplyDelete