Monday, November 17, 2014

So, made it to the other side... Look miniatures!

So, craptastic last week...  Not a whole lot moving on my hobby front.  I DID pick up Chang's Bird of Prey for STAW, it is a really good little ship with some insane potential for movement tricks under cloak.  Machts Nichts against a Borg with their 360 arc and high attacks, but against pretty much everything else...  Looking like we'll go to bigger games and looking beyond the Borg centered OP events.  I think we will be able to bring back the game with a few changes, but we'll see.  And as Wizkids has posted a whole raft of rules changes and clarifications it looks REALLY good for STAW, assuming we can get the local group back together or grow it in other ways.  Cautiously optimistic...  But for my purposes, it looks like this game is finally back to worth playing...  Well, once the Borg OP events are done :-)  Still not a fan of those...

Warmachine...  Some painting and assembly of Dwarves (Rhulic Mercenaries).  Got in several more games, and the Arcanist Corps is pretty darn powerful.  Think Fire Benders for Avatar fans.  Immune to Fire which HAS come up, but more importantly, they can threaten a huge area and just set everything close on fire...  I honestly think they have done almost as much damage by simply catching things on fire through their various spells and just hitting in HtH as they have by hitting lower (level/value/toughness?  Not sure what really makes sense here...)So, yes, the Arcanists are kind of my answer to being swarmed by hordes of cheap crappy troops…  Well, that and the fact that I can (and DO) bring loads of Artillery support.  Learned my lesson about trusting direct fire to do everything.  Warmachine really needs you to have a much more balanced approach to not get sucker punched by a hard counter.  And this game HAS hard counters to just about everything I’ve seen so far.  Just not always obvious.  The Bear (Brun and Lug) is my big HtH threat at the moment, though I have the Wroughthammer Rockham fully assembled and mostly painted in preparation to fielding.  Traded for it and was really happy to see the previous owner had modified the figure to make it less “unwieldy”.  The figure as shipped is running, so one foot on the ground is not perhaps the most stable setup for such a top heavy piece.  This one is essentially kneeling with one knee down assuming a good firing position…  FAR more stable.  But in any case a second big nasty HtH threat.  The Bear has actually gotten 3 caster kills in my last four games.  For 9 points I think it is insanely undercosted with the “Flank” rule and a good charge in…  But it IS RAW/RAI I think.  Certainly NOT out of line with a lot of other stuff out there.  Just REALLY good for what I can fit into a Rhulic list.  Nothing subtle, Brun charges, then Lug to finish it off.  Whatever “it” is.  I HAVE failed to kill off a Heavy Jack (Tom’s Convergence one), but that was mostly a series of horribly low Damage rolls.  Even on average, it tears most things up.  OTOH, it will also die to its equivalent in similar situations, so…  With those being my ONLY models with Pathfinder naturally and with General Ossum’s ability helping the Dwarf at least move through my own troopers…  It makes the Bear an excellent counterpunch unit as the enemy rushes forward to prevent me from simply using Artillery/Ranged Attacks to hit them from across the field.

Used the General for several games, I think I have that one figured out.  Watched enough games with Joe’s Gorton list to have a pretty good grasp as to what that entails.  No one locally has used Durgen as far as I can tell, so perhaps that will be my next one…  His tiered list is not something I think I’ll bother with.  Nothing really all that useful there for me at least.  The General gets to start the game with ALL of his upkeep spells in force, etc….  So REALLY useful.  Getting -1 point on the Avalancher and the ability to field more Artillery is “neat”, but certainly not worth the limitations.  And Durgen himself seems like a pretty much one man wrecking crew...  I'd call him a "lone wolf" type as he seems like he does not have any particular synergy with anything else in the Rhulic list...  The General is the exact opposite.  He has great synergy with almost everything Rhulic.  But he is sorely lacking standing on his own I think.  I HAVE done a bit of damage with his standard 12" range Dam 12 pistol, but really NOT what he is there for.  Durgen on the other hand has AP or Carpet Bomb in addition to Reach and a good Str weapon.  Immunity to Blast is pretty big, and "Primed" cast say, on some of the Forge Guard makes for an interesting if somewhat risky and high casualty damage to the enemy...  VERY Dwarven though...  We may fall, but those bastards are coming with us...  So, perhaps not overly competitive, but VERY much my play style.  We'll see.  Durgen is assembled a bit differently for me with the hammer resting against the base for stability...

Not a lot for me going on with 30/40K at the moment...  Gathered up my resin FW Spartan, will probably post it for trade and see what interest it gets...  Frankly, regretting purchasing it at this point, but I could just shelf it and dig it up in a few months/years when I rotate back to 40K...  At this point I am separating and shelving my various armies and cleaning up the basement a bit at a time.  Not really getting far on that if I'm honest...  My giant cat has decided that I need to snuggle with him, so not a lot of uninterrupted hobby time :-)  The giant (Maine Coon mix) cat decides you will pay attention, you probably should...

No comments:

Post a Comment