Thursday, June 2, 2016

League final this weekend, X-Wing

Looking like I might end up as the backup TO for the event this weekend…  Not a big deal, just wanting to play more games J…  So downloaded the software and familiarizing myself with it.  Good for the (hopefully) soon to be scheduled Gopher events, so I’ll be able to run it off my laptop.  JAR file, so it took a bit of convincing on my “slightly more secure” machine to actually run what is a likely “less secure” program.  But simple enough stuff once it comes up, and it more or less runs the pairings, etc… 

But in any case, it is Thursday and no Imperial Veterans…  So, unlikely to have the good Defenders available…  I’m not in the running for the League prizes, I think, unless a LOT of the previous top finishers simply do not show up…  In any case, I’m looking at either the S&V Aces or the Ghost and ? to fly…  Looking at the loaded out Y-Wing I think or Jake’s A-Wing…  Or maybe I fly an Imperial scrub fleet with my 3 “sort of” Aces?  Or the Decimator/Whisper list now that I have that option perhaps?


Listening to the Mynoc Squadron podcast (http://mynockpodcast.libsyn.com/) on Variance…  Good stuff, and I’m calling it Live or Die by the Green Dice”…  Pretty much the same thing, they are of course using the correct terms…  I am finding the “LoDbGD” to be a fun one…  I got the one game where I had the TIE/fo behind a rock and was able to fly away from a volley of 3 Concussion Missiles only down a Shield.  On the other hand, I’ve also blanked out on the Green Dice to lose a full health fully loaded out uber-TIE in a single shot…  So, while your dice are hot, you are unstoppable, and you might well win it all…  Or you might not win ANY games and lose it all.  Variance hits a lot harder on the Greens as the Red dice DO have one more “hit” result on the 8 side dice, and there are simply a LOT more ways to modify or re-roll the Attack to GET more results…  So, this is one area where X-Wing mirrors STAW I think albeit on a MUCH more in controlled way…  STAW you could easily get 8+ Hit results on an attack (Yes, I play Federation and Dominion, so fly Fleets that can do this regularly), and since there is almost no way to dodge that many hit…  Well, barring the silly attack cancellation BS…  But I digress J and might have interjected some of my opinions on why that particular game is failing locally…  But back to X-Wing…  Have to admit I have REALLY enjoyed flying the Imperials over lunches with Tony…  Win or lose, I get a MUCH better understanding of the ships and I think I have a decent handle on them now.  So, depending on who actually shows up, I might even fly my Imperial Blues out to see how badly I get smacked about…  I haven’t faced a Crack Swarm, but I do not think that is so much the worst matchup for my Blues…  U-Boats would be rough, but arc dodging and patient pack hunting evens that up…  Ace v Ace?  Well, whose dice are hot matters more than anything else…  So, while the odds are not the greatest, I do tend to play aggressively and make my own luck that way…  Not a lot of people are really prepared for that, and as I’ve said this game directly rewards you with the “Attack is just better” design philosophy…


Other X-Wing news, they have just announced Wave 9 (https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/6/2/stay-in-attack-formation/) ….  Looking like 4 REALLY good ships, and the ARC-170 from the Episodes 1-3, so Republic Era fighter getting a retrofit…  Have to admit this is one I have REALLY been looking forward to.  The wave is going to hurt as I’ll be getting ALL of the ships now that I play Imperials as well…  But the previews all look REALLY good so far…  S&V get 2 good ships that fill in some holes I think…  All in all, looking great.  So, excited for the future of this game…

No comments:

Post a Comment