Wednesday, June 15, 2016

X-Wing thoughts, mid June

X-Wing stuff…  So far, I have an excellent record with Echo and ADM Chiraneau (VT-49)…  I think a lot of people see the large based ship and assume that I’ll slowly approach and make the nice, safe choices to get in range and try the long ranged sniping game.  What most folks do not realize, even those familiar with the “rule of 11” is that the Large based ship moving 4 Ahead is already 9 ship lengths in if you set up at the front of the DZ…  Then add in the boost for an additional 3+ ship lengths…  So, a VERY good chance I am lining up a Turn 1 shot.  Yes, Range 3, and good chance it will be obstructed, but I DO have Gunner ready…  So many people get caught thinking that Turn 1 is just repositioning and preparing to chase me around the Asteroid field…  Speaking of which, I bring 3 big rocks, placing one a Range 2 from their corner, another about the middle and the rest of the field tending to be a triangle giving a very open flank which I ignore.  I have only the 2 ships, one of which is INSANELY maneuverable and the other is just darn fast.  So, I run up the obstructed flank, slice through the field and dare them to come in after me.  It does make it especially difficult for a Swarm to keep in formation, which is the main reason I do this.  Keep them separated, then go after one or two at a time.  With two big guns and Gunner on both backed by Predator and/or FCS it tends to be a VERY accurate thing and burns through tokens and forces more dice rolling.  It usually only takes one bad roll to cripple or kill the more fragile Ace types, and so if I make them roll Agility Dice 4 times/turn it will come up sooner or later…  Yes, it is possible that it NEVER hits during the game, but really I’ve usually seen it hit 1 out of 3-4 times to get through those critical first few points of damage…   The U-Boats are difficult, but with the sheer accurate firepower I can throw out, I should kill one before they shoot, then it is a matter of hunting the other two down...


So, older build, but It seems to be doing well locally at least.  Mostly killing time until the “now shipping” Imperial Veterans hit…  Though honestly really looking far more forward to Wave 9…  The Mandalorian fighter especially seems to fit perfectly how I play in the “slightly more aggressive: fashion…  And the ARC-170 just looks really good.  One fighter I’ve really been hoping they bring out…  The others?  Eh…  I’ll likely get them and probably even use them, but… 

No comments:

Post a Comment