Friday, September 9, 2016

More Job vs Career silliness...


It’s been 2 weeks and the silence from above I suppose is my answer.  So, waiting on more movement elsewhere in the University before things REALLY shake loose.  I know a lot of the folks I work with are applying for the slow trickle of jobs that are opening up.  One Management position up in Engineering that is drawing a LOT of quality applicants.  I am NOT applying for the position as it would be at best a lateral move for me at least based on the salary for the position…  Mind, the TITLE is actually correct for them, so…  But, no.  As I said, looking like nothing is happening in my current position so hoping that the central IT organization gets more of their stuff posted soon.  One hit, but it is not something I feel I am particularly qualified for…  Passed word along to some folks, but we’ll see who even applies/gets it?  But I know there are 4-5 more jobs at that level that are in the final stages, one of them I think the one I have been waiting for.  We’ll see.  Since I know someone on the hiring committee for that job, it might work poorly for me as they are in my current chain of command and my leaving might well not be a good thing for my current organization.  But this was what I was hoping to avoid by going to him in the first place with my conditions for staying.  Since it seems clear they will not be addressed, much less met I really have no real choice but get serious about applying elsewhere.

But t comes back to that whole Job vs Career.  I have a job…  My title is not even vaguely current or correct, and that was what I was trying to get rectified to no avail.  So, the ideal solution for my current organization is complete stasis.  NO one moves, no one gets promoted, they just stay where they are and keep doing the jobs they have…  Oh, and pick up other stuff as it comes up or other people leave.  Back when I was in theory a Regional Manager I was very concerned about that as it and expressed that opinion…  I was the minority and as the hiring freeze hit, nothing REALLY bad happened as only a few people left rather than the larger number I was concerned about.  Turnover is just the way things work in the real world, and ESPECIALLY here where the only way in the past to get a promotion/raise was to change jobs.  Now, there ARE some larger IT organizations that have (and USE) promotion ladders on campus, so I suspect that my career path will lead in that direction.   I feel that my career is back to having painted myself into another corner here.  IFF the title gets changed, then I’m good here as it is an actual Career move for me.  The job itself I am frankly getting sick of.  It is a waste of my time and the University’s resources to have level one IT work being done by someone with MANY industry certifications and an advanced degree in the field…  I actually want to do what I trained for and put in an awful lot of hard work to get that degree, but lacking the other people to do that stuff it’s me again…  Sadly things are turning out pretty much how I thought they would in a lot of areas and that would be why I pulled back to just my one Department.  With the complete lack of funding, increased demands and fewer people to do the work I suspect that the long term answer is to fully embrace the TS Power Plant initiatives…  Not a popular opinion in some areas, but we’re crumbling and it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better I suspect.


Broke down and bought a Fitbit…  Seems to be helping, but it is really just organizing and keeping me focused on doing what I should have been doing in the first place, and what I did the last time I almost got back into shape.  But this IS nice, keeps track of my steps, the stairs climbed, I can track my food and water as well…  So, eating better, drinking mostly water, hitting the stairs more than the elevator.  Working out daily as well, so getting stronger which helps in a lot of ways.  Moved on from the prison type workout to some actual equipment, seems to be working well enough.  Was a LOT easier when I was younger, but I suspect that age (and lack of injuries at that point) and the enforced daily exercise was what made it MUCH easier.  Might just be my faulty memory, but I remember this all being easier...  Heck I remember still being drunk and showing up to morning PT and it being fairly easy...