Monday, April 9, 2018

X-Wing in Mattoon this weekend, and motorcycles?


Well, did the “retro” event with the Rey/Horton build…  First game got stomped by dice variance.  Would likely have still lost I think, but it would NOT have been the 0-100 pasting.  The Y-Wing died in a single round of shooting between a Harpoon Missile that hit for maximum damage then the TIE Defender, also hitting for 2 hits and a Critical…  Down to just the Falcon, and while it tried to do damage, my opponent had the hottest Dice I’ve ever seen, shrugging off the 4-5 Hits I can throw out and hitting back just as hard against my 1 Agility…  So, quick game and convinced me even more that the Y-Wing is just completely outclassed by the more modern ships.

Game 2, Bye..  Technically a “win”, but boring…  So watched a lot of the games…  Some interesting builds, but it was a LOT of TIE Defenders and Palpatine in a lot of the Imperial builds.  Guessing that I am in the minority thinking that the TIE/D’s are still pretty powerful and that the Emperor is still overpowered even after the nerf.

Game 3 put me back into the 1-1 tables against Chris flying an extremely odd 2 HWK and Y-wing list…  I ended up winning 100-0, but really it was a LOT closer than the score would have you believe.  First time Chopper actually did work for me.  Regenerated 4 Shields keeping the Y-Wing alive on 1 Hull (and the -1 Agility Critical) and the Falcon was at 7 Hull remaining JUST above the 50% mark with it being an odd number on the YT-1300’s…  Fun game, and the Sloop title did what it was supposed to. 

Down side, it convinced me that I will NOT be playing a Falcon during SC season.  Just not something I really enjoy flying.  I’ll probably give the Wookies another shot, but I suspect they’ll be in the same “Not Fun” category for me.

Up side, I got an awesome 3-D printed Proton Bomb that Stu made… 

Looking at a few odd test lists for Mattoon this weekend…  First one brings to mind the following quote:




KyloVynder "Bring me EVERTHING… (97)

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) — TIE Silencer
35
Push the Limit
3
Advanced Sensors
3
Advanced Optics
2
Autothrusters
2
First Order Vanguard
2
Ship Total: 47

Major Vynder — Alpha-class Star Wing
26
Push the Limit
3
Proton Torpedoes
4
Harpoon Missiles
4
Advanced Proton Torpedoes
6
Ion Pulse Missiles
3
Advanced SLAM
2
Os-1 Arsenal Loadout
2
Ship Total: 50
  

 
It has a ludicrous amount of Ordnance and could actually use the “Swiss Army Knife” approach for throwing whatever is the best for any given instance down range…  And since he can SLAM, Reload, PTL for a Focus/TL (assuming he did not use one that does not burn the Lock like Harpoon or Ion), if I can keep far enough away…  2 or 3 Turn followed by the SLAM of the same type does get me 180 degrees around and ready to fire again…  Silly, but Kylo is pretty good on his own and this Gunship just has the missiles to be a PITA for a lot of things…  Like a Ghost where I can really Ion Pulse it EVERY turn…  Doubt it will be something longer term, but looks fun.

Otherwise the Kylo/Whisper list I flew before is a LOT of fun…  Very “Ace” build with 2 things that would rather not be shot at…  Whisper still hits like a truck and when you DO shoot at her in my build, assuming I remember all of the triggers, you gain a Stress for declaring her a target (turning off Expertise immediately), I can change a Hit to a Focus which cannot be re-rolled and then I SHOULD have 4+ Agility if my Cloak is up…  Fun at least, and not really in any way overpowered…


Otherwise might go with a S&V build:

FennThweekBumpmaster (97)
Fenn Rau — Protectorate Starfighter
28
Push the Limit
3
Autothrusters
2
Concord Dawn Protector
1
Ship Total: 34

Thweek — StarViper
28
Advanced Sensors
3
Inertial Dampeners
1
Autothrusters
2
StarViper Mk. II
-3
Virago
1
Ship Total: 32

Contracted Scout — JumpMaster 5000
25
Snap Shot
2
Intelligence Agent
1
Rigged Cargo Chute
1
Ion Projector
2
Ship Total: 31


Interesting build I think…  The Bumpmaster is pretty solid, and anything that gets multiple shots in a turn is far better than its points would lead you to believe.  The Viper is a decent Arc Dodger and Fenn is…  Well, Fenn.  Solid, if extremely fragile.  So, I have to be aggressive and agile to do well with this list. 

MUCH more my speed than the Falcon builds.  Still have the Wookies and the Firestorm ready to go…  Both seem like they have extremely good match-ups and could well get me to a cut, but neither I think will win any of the larger SCs…

Otherwise?  Have an interview tomorrow…  Not likely to take it even if I get an offer, but looking at it as good practice.  Guess that is where I am with my job search, practice and hone the interview skills since that is where I failed the last few times.  Go slow, get it right next time.

Bike is running well, just the weather has been crazy…  Got in a great ride Saturday and then Sunday it snowed again…  Will likely be 70 by Thursday, so JUST a bit odd…  Have the application to join the “Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association”, filling that out now that I have a working bike I am confident I can ride distances on…  JUST a bit different than the  Tres Hombres I ran with in the old days, especially since there is an application and it states several times “We are NOT a Motorcycle Club”…  With the Hombres it was a bit different J  The old days were interesting at least, or so I am told…



No comments:

Post a Comment