Friday, February 15, 2019

Just more X-Wing testing for the League...




Looking like I am gearing up for a game or two this weekend in our local League…  Not honestly overly confident with what I am flying as most of it is new to me.  Well, newish…  I’ve now flown with the 2 B-Wings in a half dozen games in this edition and they are quite solid.  Good, close in knife fighters.  They ARE on a clock as they have essentially zero Defense, but as Aahz says, the best Defense is a solid Offence. 

BBYNorraAP5 (200)
Braylen Stramm — A/SF-01 B-Wing
47
Jamming Beam
0
Ship Total: 47
Half Points: 24 Threshold: 4

Ten Numb — A/SF-01 B-Wing
46
Fire-Control System
2
Jamming Beam
0
Ship Total: 48
Half Points: 24 Threshold: 4

AP-5 — Sheathipede-class Shuttle
32
Leia Organa
2
Ship Total: 34
Half Points: 17 Threshold: 3

Norra Wexley (Y-Wing) — BTL-A4 Y-Wing
41
Ion Cannon Turret
4
Proton Torpedoes
12
R3 Astromech
3
Proton Bombs
5
Veteran Turret Gunner
6
Ship Total: 71
Half Points: 36 Threshold: 4



Dropping the ARC in favor of Norra in her Y-Wing is different, but doubling down on the “we’re here to shoot things” aspect.  A BIT concerned that I am throwing way too many points into the Y, but I need the ability to throw out Damage quickly and MAYBE survive a bit into the game…  Proton Torpedo on the way in, Ion Turret and Bombs when I get close I think is a better plan for this list than the ARC trying to roll in and bump.  AP5 replacing Sabine means I DO lose a “pocket X-Wing” where the Attack Shuttle for whatever reason was as well armed at least as a standard X-Wing…  Better if I had a Turret mounted, but points get tight when you have 4 Ships in a list.  Leia is really good in this list as the 1 turn in 3 where my Reds go White is pretty darn powerful.  So, AP5 is there to Taxi her about and Coordinate to try and give extra Actions here and there.  Suspect that will start with him Coordinating a Focus to Norra so that she can try to move up and fire the fully modified Proton Torpedo early with the 2 B’s following up with their own fairly accurate shots.  Nothing subtle, just line up and joust or at least move in a block formation I think.  NOT tied to a formation, but DO want to keep AP5 in Range 2 to Coordinate in extra Actions, even to the Stressed B-Wings.  PROBABLY way too much “stuff” on Norra’s Y-Wing, but I like having a lot of extra options.  The Astromech is “neat”, but easily cut.  Same I suspect for the Proton Bombs I suspect, but those are not the top of the “it can go” list.  The Vet Turret Gunner is edge case, kind of neat, but really I see it another way to just outright win out more Jousts…  All 4 ships HAVE Talent Slots, but nothing really jumping out to me as “I NEED this”…  Even System slots on the B-Wings..  Neat, but not building based on those here, so…

Looking at the X-Wing, Y-Wing and B-Win for the Rebels all are ~41 points for their most “Basic” build…  Essentially naked X and B with the Y having Ion Turret and Gunner.  Which wins out?  No clue I think all COULD do well, but the Y has options, the X is just more maneuverable at speed while the B is going to roll in and knife fight…  Interesting choices, I have to admit that I am liking this version of the game as it develops.  I suspect that there will be some people playing massed Y-Wings as they will just be a PITA to kill off before they get in their shots and especially if they have Ion shots in addition…  Of course, an Arc dodger will tear it apart one on one…  But 4-5 Y-Wings?  Tough to dodge that many Arcs, and getting the potential double shot out of each of them?  Eventually you WILL miss an Arc dodge or fail an Agility roll, and then?  Well, that is likely it…  Just thinking back to playing against Will’s 4 X-Wing list and THAT was rough.  Mind, he IS probably the best player with that I’ve ever seen by a long shot, but that shows the upper range of the potential for that list…  With the S-Foils, those ships are actually quite maneuverable, and with Biggs/Selflessness in the mix, they are frustratingly difficult to push Damage through on.  SLIGHTLY annoyed that 41 points is the break point on the Rebel things, I’d like to fly 5 generics in a list…  But that MIGHT just be too powerful at the moment I suppose, so best perhaps that is not an option. 

Still waiting on the Republic stuff…  Hoping to fly 2 Jedi and 2 other Ships…  My preference would be on ARCs of course, but…  Place holders I think for the N-1’s when THEY arrive.  Just having the 4 FAST ships out there I think will be a really fun list to fly.  Suspect I’ll struggle a bit to push Damage through like I did with my Imperial Ace lists, but my lads will survive well and win on points more often than not once I get the hang of flying them correctly…  Rebel Arcs start in the 50’s though, so I suspect that Republic ones will be at least that much making the 2 Jedi/2 ARC list something that simply does not happen…  Though I think the “generic” Inquisitors in the TIE Adv v1’s are sub 40 points, so MAYBE 2 of the Jedi Knights?  But with Anakin being my favorite of the Jedi Pilots, I do want to use that ship…  Just have to see what the points come to and since I think that was one that we do not yet know the Pilot Ability for…  Might change my mind?  No, I6 and 3 Force will be EXTREMELY powerful no matter the Ability.  The Supernatural Reflexes (thankfully) have been priced out of usefulness for him I think at 32 points, but even without that crutch?  I think it will be the best ship in the game, at least for my play style…

No comments:

Post a Comment