Saturday, January 28, 2012

Exhausted ranting :-)

Trying to wrap my head around some things, and I am thinking that I had what to me at least is a minor epiphany,,,  The more recent 40K things that I feel are "overpowered" or "broken" seem to universally be things that break the design rules.  Now, an example of this is the Grey Knight's Falchions...  They are functionally identical to every other Marine (well, not Wolves, but...) Lightning Claws, but they do not have the major disadvantage of the LC.  The Knights' swords still allow their user to wield them and retain the Storm Bolter for a good shooting attack.  So, it is "like" the basic thing but "just better".  It is a pattern that I am seeing over and over in the "top tier" armies.  Not sure if it is an intentional thing like Rackham did with Confrontation 3.5 in an effort to prepare the way for the next major edition to "fix the problems" in the game or if it just the way that codex creep works there...  Kind of why I am a bit concerned about my Eldar getting rewritten, I want a fun but NOT overpowered force.  Something a bit different for me because I feel that pretty much all of the other armies I play are top tier, and so I have to be a bit careful not to fall into the min/max trap and get bored :-)  So, something for me to think about while I am painting my toys... Getting to the point I can field a WYSIWYG and fully painted force for several of my armies....  Eldar now getting close, need to get some more Falcon hulls though...  The ancient Armorcast hull looks nice and I do think it would be a unique force to bring out...

No comments:

Post a Comment