Wednesday, March 28, 2012

1500 point FoW?

Well, not sure the "real" point level things get played at, guessing 2000, but I'll start with a 1500:

From the "D-1" book, 82nd Airborne being one of the places I ended up briefly when I played Army...


1 Company HQ (+3 Bazooka Teams) 95
Parachute Rifle Platoon   (3 Rifle Squads) 365
Parachute Rifle Platoon   (3 Rifle Squads) 365
Parachute Machine-Gun Platoon (2 sections + 2 Bazooka Teams) 240
Parachute Mortar Platoon (2 Sections + 2 Bazooka Teams) 190
Glider Light Anti-Tank Platoon (3 Gun Sections, 57mm upgrade, 3 Bazooka Teams) 120
Glider Field Artillery Battery (3 Gun Sections) 120

Kind of min/maxing adding Glider stuff into the Parachute company I guess, but no real point bringing a 37mm AT gun to a late war fight I'd be guessing...  Loads of Bazooka Teams, and if they work as they did in 1st ed, kind of a nasty surprise for tanks getting ready to try and roll over my lads...  A little Artillery to keep things honest, a few Mortar tubes in there as well for smoke...  Mind, I have precisely zero experience with 3rd ed FoW, so this is just the way I would go having been trained to do this in "real life"...  I'll have to add in an Engineer Platoon just because that's where I started, and I'll want to use them...  No clue if they have any in game use, but assuming there are mines and the like... 

7 comments:

  1. for Nationals this year, the point value is 1575. Why? dunno.
    SandWyrm likes doing 2000 in mid-war. mostly because he feels it lets him bring all the German toys he needs. That also lets everyone else bring more stuff to the battle.

    I personally, am liking 1575, and 1750.

    the point levels are really up to your gaming group.

    Engineers are good. being AT3 in assault helps a lot, and bringing HMG's is nice. since most rifles are 16" range, and HMG's are 24".

    I'm not so sure you need all the bazookas in your mortar and AT platoons.

    I did up a list with Easy Army for Turning Tides, and it looked like:
    HQ +2 Bazooka (one for each inf. platoon) 70
    3Para rifles (+3extra rifles) 355
    3Para rifles (+3extra rifles) 355
    2Para Machine guns (+2 Bazookas. these will all attach to both platoons) 210
    1Para Mortar (1 square of smoke is usually ok) 65
    2 Para glider artillery 155
    2 Corps 105 artillery 140
    2 corps 105 artillery 140

    for 1490pts.

    6 platoons, for those crazy missions where half stuff starts off board. I'd probably take my 3 arty. your anti-tank is arty and bazookas. move up, dig in, and defend. it's what vets are good at.

    why so much arty?
    I like arty. New American rules allow for combined bombards. At 14 guns, you're looking at either a double-wide re-rolling to hit, or using a massive bombard template (12x12") to hit everything under the sun.
    mix with mike target, and you're hitting a lot of stuff.

    having said that... TD's are also a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, the US Artillery still has the Time on Target stuff? Damn, looks like the red legs hit the table... And I REALLY like the Tank Destroyers...

    Do you have any experience with the "Old Glory" stuff? One would assume that it being a set scale of 15mm they would be the same, but of course assumptions being what they are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno. I was thinking of getting OG Arty. but I've heard Plastic Soldier Company's going to be doing a bunch on Ami stuff for Blood, Guts, and Glory.

    supposedly Arty and infantry are in the works. hopefully some TD's too. I'm really excited about fielding a TD co.

    check the US arty rules. I think they're the best of all nations.

    I'd also check What Would Patton do? for reviews of Old Glory minis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually. Quality Castings has some good looking stuff.

    http://www.warweb.com/wwii-usa-c-70_153_420_1227.html

    Peter Pig is also another good one to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old Glory, Quality Casting, and Peter Pig all do some really nice stuff, but their infantry is more realistic and not as "chunky" as the BF stuff.

    Old Glory is good for the price. Not sure, but you used to get something like 50 figures in a bag for $12, and I think 3 vehicles for $21. Haven't checked their prices in a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) Might have to snag a few of the OG guys just to see how they look next to my BF lads... Can always use more Paras, and Engineers... Yes, need them of course... Usable for me in game? Don't care... Probably snag a 6 pack of the AT guns or Howitzers just to see how they size up next to the "real" ones... Doubt I'll have a force for GenCon this year, not sure if I'll be going, but would like to get a "tournament" force together and see how well I do in the wild as it were....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, found a place that has files for most of the current books... http://av-priest.blogspot.com/ Some REALLY nice XL spreadsheets...

    ReplyDelete