Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Is 40K getting stale or is it just the waiting for the next edition?

So,seems locally at least it is getting stale to the point of dying...  Not sure if it is just that it is so predictable, or it it is the general feeling of " Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi! "....  I get the general feeling of a dying game system, having been here a few times before...  Confrontation, MechWarrior, Chronopia, Planetstorm, guessing I have a few armies of random crap down in the basement that I've forgotten, these I remember though :-)  I'm not really concerned that GW will kill their system, unlike all of the ones before them...  At least I HOPE they will not do so.  I have a LOT of stuff for 40K, and since I basically get one night per week for gaming and with the death of the Warmachine/Hordes group here...  Well :-)...  Yes, purely selfish reasons to hope for the the game continuing, but...  So, yes, seen the signs and they are very familiar...  Hoping inertia is enough to keep 40K going in the long run...

2 comments:

  1. SandWyrm and I have been a little worried about 40K for about a year.

    I suspect miniature wargaming might be struggling, but I feel 40K's issues are exacerbated by a slowed down release schedule, clamp downs on rumors, and a series of 'meh' bland codex releases.
    I'm selling off my GK's because they've lost the old flavor I liked. I was one of the guys that LIKED inducted IG.

    we'll see. Here's hoping GW doesn't shoot itself in the foot again. (8th ed fantasy, planetfall, apocolypse)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The absolute secrecy thing really seems to be one of the bigger things hurting them. More than the typical English attitude toward "customer service", keeping retailers and their customer base completely in the dark about everything does seem like it has the effect of forcing a fair number of customers to at least consider alternative games... Or at the very least not buy up things to round out their armies in advance of the new codex releases...

    'course that might also be a problem, with most of the recent codexes it seems that buying things blindly in advance would potentially be "bad"... And the older armies are static at best with the changeover to "finecast"... So, ancient metal minis are getting cast in resin... "Eh" pretty much sums it up. Nothing new, worse materiel and more expensive... Any question why they aren't selling all that well? New things like the Wolf Cav coming a year late? "Eh", really pricey for the 3 plastic minis (mind, just my opinion as is everything I write) that would have actually sold well had they been released even 6 months ago... Now, most people who wanted them got them from alternate sources and their opponents have pretty much figured out how best to deal with them. That and a lot of us are more or less in "wait and see" mode waiting for the rumored 6th ed... Me, I have too much crap already, wondering how much of it will really be useful as I look over at my shelved Squats and my Eldar, most of whom are shelved as well :-)

    ReplyDelete