Tuesday, July 17, 2012

1850 for the next league....

Well, it looks like the next league will be 1850 and more "Hobby" based...  So, points for WYSIWYG, painting, basing, fluff, etc...  So, this leaves me a hard choice, what army do I play?

Dark Angels (Consecrators)...  Terminators are pretty powerful these days, and I am guessing that the less than 900 points for 3 squads of Fearless Terminators with a variety of weapons, including cheap Cyclones... Leaving me around 1000 points for more Terminators, bike squads, Dreadnoughts and...  Well, not sure what else...  Probably need Aegis Defense line with the AA gun, so a min sized Tac squad to man the line I guess...  Being 4th edition I have some decent weapon options for the 5 man squad IIRC, but they would just be there to man the AAA really...

Fleshtearers...  Powerful I guess...  I like my jump troops.  And I suppose I could run a Storm Raven...  The Death Company and DC DN are fun...  Lacking a Storm Raven at the moment though...  I don't know, strong army, and I have a LOT of options...

Eldar...  Interesting army, I think they'll be fairly strong...  Still not sure they will match well against Grey Knights or...  Well a lot.  the Eldar Brick I run is powerful, but slow and easily avoidable...  I do not have the Wave Serpents to do the Mechdar list, so foot it is what I can do...  Not sure what other foot options they have, I know the Avatar might be amusing with his immunity to Melta, etc...  Dunno if it will work or not...

Beyond this, Grey Knights and IG I think are just too powerful for a friendly league and I frankly do not think I will have fun playing them...  And a "vanilla" Marine force would probably just be boring for me...  Leaves Wolves I guess, maybe...  Dunno if they will hold my interest long enough though.  Loganwing was amusing, but his weapon got screwed over by the new rules...  Shame, he was at least amusing...

So, 4 choices I guess...  All at least "mostly" painted, should be easy to get there for the league and tournament at the end...  Have a few weeks to figure it out I guess...  Though, the other major consideration being what fits into the luggage on the motorcycle :-)...

8 comments:

  1. So you've got a couple of games under your belt. Is combined arms the way to go or what?
    It sounds like you need AAA, mech, and footsloggers this go through of the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and this is just my opinion of course, YMMV... AAA is big, not "you automatically lose without it", but "Gee, it would be easier if those Vendettas/Storm Ravens were's strafing my Army into oblivion"... I'll probably throw something "Eldar" together to be an Aegis equivalent, as Rangers/Pathfinders would make excellent crew...

    With vehicles becoming, in general, more fragile due to the hull points killing them, I think the days of the all mech all the time are numbered... One of the secondary victory conditions in a lot of the missions is "first blood", and killing a single light transport or DN isn't that hard really... Losing the ability to Assault out of most vehicles hurt a lot as well... Mind, it is still a decent way to get bodies across the battlefield, but... No scoring for units embarked on transports also hurts... So, hiding in the metal box in a game that has a random end point might not work...

    Foot seems OK, better I think than in the past for now at least... Especially if you have cover, etc... The ability to still fire heavy weapons (snap fire) on the move and even rapid fire weapons out to the full range on the move is nice... Not sure how it will work out in the long run though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, if only the lowly Shuriken catapult had better than a 12" range...at least you can get 6 shots for 6's out of a scatter laser.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Well, Dire Avengers have the 18" ranged ones, and while the Scatter laser has the 4 shots, the War Walker with a pair gets you to 8 shots each... Hypothetically, if one were to guide the squadron's 24 shots, the AV 10 fliers had best watch themselves... AV 12 is still hard to bring down of course...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hadn't thought of the Dire Avengers option. Hmmmm...

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blade storm and guide... I did find Maugen Ra to be pretty useful with Crack Shot and 4 Str 6 rending shots... So, no cover saves, meant 4 dead DE/turn... Guessing I'll give the Dark Reapers a shot next week...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about pathfinders? Also, how many people were playing Monday night? It sounded like the place was full.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the Pathfinders I have been finding to be REALLY good against Infantry, especially in the open... Their own cover saves are really good still and the new Sniper rifle rules help... Getting precision shot (shooter picks his target) on a 6, which for them is also AP 1 is nice... But still only wounding a target not Doomed on a 4+... Good, but having to roll a series of 6's to hurt aircraft sucks :-) Why I thought they's likely man my Aegis gun... BS 4, great cover saves, still ignore terrain if they do have to break off and run for it... And Troops to camp objectives... So, yes, they are going to be my standard "Troops" I think... Just not a good answer for AAA...

    It does look like the next league will be a fairly full one, but Tim is running it, and we'll be focusing more on the "Hobby" aspect... So, a good starting point as we are all more or less picking up the new edition changes...

    ReplyDelete