Monday, August 6, 2018

Gen Con AAR (X-Wing)



Gen Con AAR

So, I got up at 3:30 (am) Friday for the drive over to Gen Con to make it there long before the “09:00” start…  Turns out I need not have worried much as the event did not REALLY start until 10 or 10:30.  Lots of construction en route, but the ancient Ranger got me there easily enough.  Drank a few of the coffee Monster drinks and listened to a lot of my music to get into the correct mindset for the event.  Made it there in plenty of time, hitting the garage at about 7:30.  So, I need not have worried so much of course but better by far to be there early than risk showing up late.  Or not in this case.  Seemed like a lot of folks rolled in at ~ start time or a bit after, so the start was delayed waiting for them and then of course for the standby folks to fill in should anyone simply not show up.  No clue how many that was, but suspect it was more than a few.  Mind, I was on the “mid-tier” tables so I got to see a LOT of weird builds at my level.  Will see how the upper tier were actually built out but I suspect strongly there were only a few really good builds up there.  So, I flew:

InqRyadReaper3 P Chappel… (100)
Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper
26
Adaptability
0
Director Krennic
5
ISB Slicer
2
Advanced Ailerons
0
Ship Total: 33

Countess Ryad — TIE Defender
34
Push the Limit
3
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II
1
TIE/x7
-2
Ship Total: 36

The Inquisitor — TIE Advanced Prototype
25
Push the Limit
3
Autothrusters
2
TIE/v1
1
Ship Total: 31





Solid build…  Turns out it is really good against almost everything.  ONE really big hard counter being Stress control.  And, round one was against a Rebel 4 ship (“Fair Ship Rebels”) build that was big a few waves back…  But of course, my ships absolutely depend on Actions to do the things like avoid firing Arcs and you know, getting shot.  So, take THAT away and I have 3 fairly fragile ships.  NOT a bad experience, one of the lads out of Milwaukie WI, and a lot of fun to play against.  So, were I to draw the hard counter and just lose 0-100, this at least was a fun opponent to lose to.  Moved to round two…  And was more Stress J  Going to be one of those days apparently I said, but the opponent again was a blast to play against so had fun even while I was losing…  Got to game 3, and they were passing out a LOT of extra participation prizes so neat cards to hang in my office I suppose at the least…  Then I realized they were v2 cards, and a fair number of them were ships I’ll actually be using.  Awesome.  Well, my round 3 opponent unfortunately (for him) had a TIE Bomber with a Systems Officer (to give free TL actions) and a pair of named Imperial Gunboats kitted out with loads of “stuff”.  Theory being, they get the TL from the Bomber then roll up, Focus and have a fully modified shot that hurts…  Well…  I was playing Maj Vermeil who asks “Well, what if you NEVER had a Target Lock during the whole game”.  Was a short game at least as I won 100-0.  So, the hard counter was reversed.  My fourth and turns out final game was against a build with Kath Scarlett and Morelo Eval in the YV-666.  Interesting build and another exhausting game as that is simply SO much to shoot through with the somewhat low powered main guns I have on my Fighters.  But the Firespray in v1 is simply THAT bad and the 666 is brutal in its 180 Front Arc, but it cannot easily turn around.  Rush it, accept that he will get one good shot, then you are behind it and killing it quickly.  Turns out that Agility 1 simply melts so quickly against focused fire.  Still it came to the Firespray vs the TIE Defender at the end…  And went to time…

So, dropped out there…  Even if I won out, I had pretty much guaranteed not to make the cut…  And frankly I was exhausted after the EARLY wake up and then all day playing on short tables set up on concrete.  Seems to be a thing for younger folks and my injuries have caught up to me it seems.  Still, had a great time overall…  Only slightly overshadowed by my afternoon’s e-mail…

Got another interview!  4th one this Summer, and this one is one I suspect is an actual possibility as there is not REALLY someone already there waiting on the interview process to finish to finalize the promotion they were going to get in any case…  2 of mine so far HAVE been that formal “promotion” process rather than a real Search, but since I knew that going in I treated them as excellent opportunities to have a “live fire” practice interview.  And by now I am certainly feeling like I am MUCH better prepared for the jobs I am interviewing.  I suspect I was simply not ready a few years ago when last I was seriously searching.  Now with some objective assistance completely reworking my Resume and Cover Letter to focus on Leadership/Management experience I am actually making that critical first cut to get in for an interview.  Previously my resume was FAR more focused on “I do tech things”, and yes, I do/did them quite well.  I have a number of industry certifications and now an advanced degree (MS) to prove it.  Well, the advanced degree is one of the big things qualifying me for things at the “Director” level…  The University has a somewhat odd system for this, at least when compared to “The Industry” as a whole…  There, the fact that I had a BS was actually seen as sort of a negative, at least in the mid 90’s when I was starting my career.  From that entry level perspective I had “wasted” 4 years learning useless stuff while I could have been out working on the cutting edge and actually MAKING things…  Well, the even get the AP job at the University of course you DO have to have a BS/BA in something…  Anything frankly, that mine is in a technical field is not very common in the IT field here, nor is it seen as a particular advantage…  Well, in LAS where I am now…  Were I in say, in Engineering perhaps the BS in Mechanical Engineering might be a plus…  Hopefully?  Any case, having the MS qualifies me for the higher level of Management jobs I am seeking.  Well, that and for the last several years I HAVE been managing an IT group doing exactly what the job I am currently seeking does…  So, I just have to convince the Committee and folks actually making the hiring decision of that.

Anyway, back to X-Wing… 2 more events coming up for v1 before that ends in September.  Frankly not overly excited about them, but they are my local store and one nearby trying to start up a group so I feel like I HAVE to at least show up and give it a shot.  I suppose I can try for the top 4 rulers and alt art cards, but as I already have a set of the top 8 ones not really seeing this as a “I need to win this” thing like last year…  Won the rulers and never used them.  I have an excellent set of acrylics from Curled Paw Creatives (link: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CurledPawCreatives?section_id=18639890) that I use all of the time and as my new ones are my favorite color (green) and have the Jedi symbol on them, they are the ones I prefer to use…  Will likely run the Fett/Fenn build at one since it actually works fairly well and I will be flying that pair in v2 a LOT… 

The point values, at least the initial ones, have been posted by FFG.  Allowing us to do some actual builds with the new stuff before next Month and it going live…  So far at least everything is looking really good.  Will see how well things are balanced when they hit the table later of course, but I have to admit I am liking everything so far.  Oh, and with the Clone Wars coming back FFG announced at Gen Con that the Galactic Republic and Separatists were coming to both X-Wing and Legion as playable factions…  REALLY looking forward to the Republic.  Honestly I did not really mind the prequels so much (Episodes 1-3)…  Jar Jar Binks was just annoying to me, but I could usually filter him out.  Lots of Jedi running around actually doing Jedi things.  Felt kind of bad for the actor who landed the Anakin Skywalker role as it required a William Shatner level of silly over acting to make the character fit Mr. Lucas’ vision it seems…  Not sure I have seen him in anything else since then.  And of course I was rather looking forward to an Obi Wan Kenobi movie with Ewan McGregor…  Maybe they will actually get around to that at some point.  Just hope that the silliness surrounding the latest movies dies down and maybe they get back to making more Star Wars movies…  But that’s just me I guess, I am not so rabid a fan that I am willing to destroy something that might not agree with my own personal vision of it…  I played a fair bit of the old SW role playing game back in the old days, so for me the more movies and books out there, the better.  With Clone Wars getting the ending that it should have gotten the first time, Rebels being concluded (and REALLY well done IMO), I was rather hoping for more live action movies with characters from those series…  Ahsoka Tano having been one of my all-time favorite characters would be MY preference of course, but whatever works…

No comments:

Post a Comment