Thursday, August 30, 2018

Last Jedi silliness and the last 1.0 X-Wing events...




So, the Last Jedi…  Have to admit it was my least favorite Star Wars film.  Caveat, I have not seen the Solo film yet, but from what I have heard it was actually in the “not bad” range, so I suspect rather strongly that TLJ will remain my least favorite SW film.  I know that the Mynocks spent an hour or so arguing here that it was objectively the best SW film, and that is fine J.  Best or worst, I did not like it at all.  THAT is how I am judging the films…  Seemed like they went way out of their way to give a giant middle finger to most of the older SW fans, and the specific problems I had were:

1.       Poe not knowing the new Admiral’s plan.  Yes, Leia demoted him from Commander to Captain.  Got it.  Of course, a real military does not really work that way, but whatever, I get this is just a fantasy J.  At that point the whole Resistance was down to a single ship, the Flagship that had the entirety (well, except for Leia herself) of its bridge crew killed.  THAT he was an Officer would have made him a Senior Officer.  And so NONE of the Officers who were involved in the aborted Mutiny had a clue what the Rear Admiral’s plan was…  Not bloody likely.  Hell, the Flight Deck enlisted crew all knew what it was.  They were the ones loading up the Transports with fuel and Cloaking Devices.  And Rose knew it well enough to give that information to the extremely unreliable DJ, including the specifics of the Cloaking Devices frequencies, etc…  So, I am amused that the Rear ADM is viewed by some as some sort of “equality” here representing under-represented females, but to me she was just a bad character.  And that whole situation was just a giant steaming plot hole that just seemed to be very lazy writing…  But just my opinion of course…
2.      Rey…  Okay, I actually like the character.  Excellent actress who works hard to pull off the young Jedi, and I like that.  This seems to be one of the things that the Director decided to just go 180 degrees from what was being built up in the previous movie and just throw it all away.  Rey has no back story now apparently, she’s just the random lucky one who got picked by the Force.  Not that her parents were characters in previous stories and there was some sort of continuity there.  Nope.  Just some random no one who magically was granted these amazing powers and for no apparent reason Anakin/Luke’s Light Saber called to her specifically and that whole flashback scene in the cantina had no meaning whatever.  I also thought she could have spent a LOT more time training with Luke.  Which brings me to
3.      Time compression…  Everything happening in SUCH a short time frame?  Why?  Everything essentially happening while the First Order were busy running the Resistance remnants down.  Fenn and Rose pop out, have an adventure/side quest and then make it back in time to witness the conclusion of the chase scene?  Made everything just seem rushed.  And just sort of thrown together at the last moment on the fly…  Kind of links to the Jedi training between Rey and Luke for me, but there is not really a sense of how long that actually took…  The length of time Finn was in a coma, but that is not known.  Probably just me, but I wanted more there, but I could see why this was compressed.  Just wish they gave some sense of time passing and that it was not like 3 days of “seminar” Jedi training to advance her to Jedi Knight at least.
4.      Most of the space battles…  So, bring in a DN class ship to hit the planet…  Fine.  But no fighter screen?  At all?  Having seen the TIE fighters scramble on other occasions, I have a hard time believing that they would not have scrambled on arrival…  Or maybe during the stupid prank call scene?  Not like the FO was trying to conserve fuel or ammo, so…  I guess trading the DN for ALL of the Resistance Bombers was OK for Snoke?

What did I like?  Well, in my opinion, Luke did the most Jedi thing ever when he faced down the First Order on his own, ultimately using the force in a completely nonviolent manner to defend the people he loved and sacrificing himself in the process.  Right up there with Kanan Jarus for me, but then I REALLY liked “Rebels”.  And Kanan was not nearly so powerful I think.  Still that was a great scene for me.  I also liked the Duel scene where Rey and Kylo fought the Praetorian Guards…  Nice, well done fight scene.  The Jedi training was pretty good, just seemed rushed/compressed. And the whole “you’re nobody” thing that I dislike…  Eh, just my opinions per usual of course.

So, have an X-Wing event this weekend at Mattoon…  Will bring 3 lists, 2 I actually want to fly and one just to give the lads there a chance to get in some reps against a more top tier list if they really want to.  Since the ACTUAL Store Championship is after the official release date for v2, I am frankly concerned that the attendance will be quite low…  All of them local have suffered and this one being after the actual date for the new edition?  Anyway, we will see I suppose.

WedgeWesNorra (100)
Wedge Antilles — X-Wing
29
Lone Wolf
2
Renegade Refit
-2
Flight-Assist Astromech
1
Servomotor S-Foils
0
Integrated Astromech
0
Ship Total: 29

Wes Janson — X-Wing
29
Predator
3
Renegade Refit
-2
Flight-Assist Astromech
1
Servomotor S-Foils
0
Integrated Astromech
0
Ship Total: 30

Norra Wexley — ARC-170
29
Push the Limit
3
Seismic Torpedo
2
Saw Gerrera
1
R2-D2
4
Vectored Thrusters
2
Alliance Overhaul
0
Ship Total: 41


Possible to swap Nien Numb out for Saw to get more Greens on Nora’s ARC dial, and not really sold on Predator for Wes…  Might go for the free VI or Crack Shot.  Still, make the swan song of X-Wing 1.0 an event with actual X-Wings?  And looking over the v2 stuff for the X-Wings, they do come out pretty well… 

Otherwise, Fett and either Guri or Fenn for the S&V Aces…  Well, they WILL be the S&V Aces in v2.  Fun builds, semi competitive I suppose as they have the answers to a fair number of the “meta” lists.  I was frankly shocked to have my Countess Ryad be an Ace in my Titan SC build.  SO many things PS 5 and lower, mostly lower frankly.  Was weird.  Third option as I said will just be the Titan SC build list…  It is a strong list, but I do not feel like it is actually oppressive like say, the Ghost/Fenn or Harpoon Alpha lists are.  Requires actual skill to fly it, and it is certainly beatable.  2 hard to hit ships, one of which is extremely fragile backed by a light Shuttle.  If I mess up or they bring the right things?  Well, it will be a VERY short game I suspect. 

But on to v2.0…  I have to say I am actually quite excited to start playing the new edition.  It looks pretty darn solid, only a (very) few things out of balance at the moment.  And with the announcement of the Republic coming out?  Um, yes.  I am REALLY looking forward to flying those ships…


No comments:

Post a Comment