Friday, January 21, 2011

More toys being built…

Mkay, so building more of the lads… Experimenting with the rare earth magnets and various weapon and arm load outs… With the Dark Angels, I can field a good mix of Assault weapons (Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield and Lightning Claws) along with the more "traditional" Storm Bolter/Power Fist and even one of the heavy weapons… The Cyclone just got useful, but to be honest I was going to be using one anyway. Assault Cannons are OK, and they'll probably always be the weapon I break out by default since they were the first ones I used in the old days, but they really require me to roll a LOT of 6's to really hurt Marines or vehicles… The Cyclone, average or even a bit below works fine…


 

Anyway, with the DA, I can field the Cyclone on a Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminator for the 3++ save, "I don't care" class weapons in HtH and shooting out to 48" range… Now, I call them "I Don't Care" class because overall it doesn't really matter what you're hitting, barring odd cases like an Eldar Seer Council, 2++ saves, or other Terminator class armor… Well, it all goes splat. Still trying to find the best mix of weapons with the Deathwing, but it is fun to play it, even if… Well, actually especially because it is NOT the most "competitive" build I can field. It surprises a lot of folks, and it is really just rock solid. Not subtle at all. But fun…


 

Also breaking out another thing I found in the basement of doom… An ancient MK I Land Raider, in pretty rough shape, but one of the 2 I picked up in the first box set WAY back in the late 80's… 2 Land Raiders came to a box for $20, and 3 Rhinos for the same price… I'll be combining it with a wrecked MK I Rhino for another Spartan Class Land Raider, but this one I'll be using the magnets on the weapon mounts to allow the swapping of the options… Should be interesting when I finally get it back out on the table… Just hope I can make this one look as nice as the other one from way back then…

2 comments:

  1. The assault cannons are pretty useful against Eldar (at least what I've seen). I imagine they are useful against horde, too.

    Cyclone+ Tank hunter= Dead space elves. I like that a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Yes, Tank Hunter is not one of the things that the Wave Serpent's field protects against... And the Cyclone with a standard loadout has the 2 shot missile launcher and Storm Bolter gives you the 4 shots/turn, 2 of which CAN take down vehicles pretty easily, 2 are AnP only... Yes, the Assault Cannon CAN in theory ping 15 Armor with a series of 6's rolled, but I'm leery of the whole "I need to roll lots of 6's" thing :-)

    Against hordes, not sure either really is better, except that the Cyclone has the 48" range and I can sit back in cover on objectives and hunt weapons teams/light vehicles... Hordes is one of the match ups I do not think my Deathwing CAN beat regularly... :-) But my lads will take a whole lot of the horde with them when they die... Fearless Troop Terminators are great at that...

    ReplyDelete