Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Painted armies...

Well, getting better over the years in terms of fielding mostly painted forces...  My Eldar for instance are almost fully painted, or at least "base coated"...  Need to get some Wave Serpents or to make some more of the ancient Falcon class tanks (the wedge type) to field more than the "Brick of doom".  Foot Eldar are a bad choice overall...  While I CAN do it, fielding large units of troops weaker than IG (Lack of Special/Heavy weapons, good cheap transports, etc...) just doesn't work well in the local "modern" 5th ed environment.  Kevin's Tyranids would feast on them as I would not be able to throw out enough firepower to even slow them down, nor could I fight off even the weakest bugs with my basic troops...  Even the best of the best for my poor Eldar, Scorpions or Harlequins, would be little more than a speed bump for them... So, Brick or Mech...  Mech I think is quite strong, Dave does an excellent one...  Unfortunately lacking the Falcon hulls, I can't really field it...  Besides, I tend to play a bit more aggressively and waiting patiently to try a last turn or two rush just not really fit my style at all...  Not to say it doesn't work :-)...  It does, but that's why I was a REALLY good Wolfen/Kelt player in Confrontation, and had a really hard time playing some of the other forces


My Wolves are the same way, but I have a LOT more rhino hulls ready for them.  My Dark Angels are completed, but then Deathwing is fairly simple...  IG?  Yeah...  Time to get serious about the vehicles there too...

So, Wave serpents are the order of the day it seems...  Wonder if I have a template for this one?  Rhino hulls, Titans, and Land Raiders I KNOW I have...  Guess I'll see what I can come up with...

3 comments:

  1. Hey Paul,
    You and Squril should sign up soon if you're going to come over for the Indy Open.

    we've only got a few slots left!

    should be good games. I think there's 3 guys from Bloomington/Springfield registered, and people from Kentucky, Michigan, Wisconsin.
    plus 11th Co. podcast will be there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll check my (and of course with "She Who Schedules All") schedule and see if I'll be nearer to the surface by then... "Unified Communications" deploying now, so been a bit more busy than normal :-)...

    How hyper-competitive is it? Just thinking that of my armies, Eldar are right out, as are IG (Light Rifle Co., not easy in timed events), GK are nowhere near "painted" leaving me Fleshtearers, Wolves and Deathwing... Wing have several "hard counters", but could do well, and I really like my berserkers and Wolves, but not wanting to come in with overly powerful armies and step on too many toes in a local group...

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you want to play, but are lacking a painted army, I've got a Purifier force you could borrow. all I'm really short with it is the second StormRaven.

    I ran a dual StormRaven list at NOVA. It was fun. pretty hard hitting too.

    I'm not expecting a whole heap of cutthroat. The local Indy crowd is a bunch of good guys, but don't expect it to be all Space Wolves and GK netlists.

    A few of us from Indy who are top competitors aren't playing, because we're running.

    I think the toughest guys will be Hulksmash, and Xaereth. Both of whom were top teir at NOVA.

    ReplyDelete