Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Holy Land Raiders Batman!

WOW, $75 (ok, $74.25 + tax, so $80+ around here) retail for a Land Raider...  $90 for a Storm Raven?  Even Razorbacks/Vindicators, etc. are all up over $40/each...  I have 3 Land Raider hulls (2 are Spartan class MK I's though), so not a big deal about that really...  Kind of annoying about the Storm Raven, but having never particularly liked the look of the kit, I guess I continue on without one for the time being...  Kind of annoying, I like the rules, and new fliers coming out...  Maybe I'll pick up some...  But with the new bloody edition coming, I'll hold off purchases...

Sadly, the Orks are actually kind of interesting to me, but there is no (insert term to replace fucking here, I can't think of one at the moment :-)) way I am picking up something so insanely expensive...  I bet I could do a "shooty" Ork army...  Maybe I'll play my Squats as "Counts as Orks"...  I have bikes, trikes, troopers, even the ancient "Easter Egg" type Terminator armor equivalent they used to use...  Anyone have a used Codex out there I can look over?  :-)

Bike wise, looking at something bigger for eventual road trips...  Guess I start saving now.  Realized that I've never owned a new vehicle in my life, doubt my next bike will be it, but still something I guess to look forward to...  Eventually...  Probably getting a Harley Davidson, one of the bigger cruisers, though I do not have a particular brand loyality

Going to be selling off a few of my old firearms...  Mkay, probably most of them...  Probably keep the IBM manufactured M1 Carbine, my old sidearm (M1911A1), Garand and my '94 Winchester...  Beyond that, everything else can go...  Swedish Model 96 Mauser, Hakim, FN-49, Lugar, and assorted "other" weapons...  Know anyone looking, I'm sure I can work out a good deal :-)...

4 comments:

  1. yeah when I saw the 20% or so price increases, it seals the deal that I'm not buying anything new from GW.

    I can be persuaded to sell stuff off, and I will probably discourage people from starting anything GW.
    it costs too damn much.

    although the LandRaiders I bought at '09 Gencon for $50 each are looking like a sweet investment now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Sadly, my first 2 Raiders are from the ancient box I bought when I was here in college the first time... 2 in the box, and IIRC it was something like $25 for the box... I'm fairly neutral on the increase, I understand costs increasing a bit, but it's not like they are new molds or packaging... Won't make any comment at the store of course :-), glad in many ways I already have too many armies I guess... This is pricing itself beyond what I can afford to spend were I to want to pick up a whole new army or even expand much on the ones I have...

    And of course there is the whole new edition thing looming over it all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm expecting 6th ed to be a money grab rules wise. A change in rules, so you will WANT to go buy more/different stuff.

    Like LR's being pretty good, and StormRavens being awesome, and being dangled like a carrot on a stick for us to go run out and buy it.

    I feel bad for the FLGS owners. I Haven't asked Loq about it yet, but I bet a lot of them are not too happy. With being required to buy new paint set, and now price hikes (which I bet the FLGS will see almost nothing of...)

    GW has priced itself out of my budget. There are plenty of other games I can play and get as much enjoyent out of for a LOT less money. Flames of War. Necromunda. Blood Bowl. (I have all those)
    or Infinity, MERCS, or Malifaux all require much less of an investment to play. Heck. I'm seeing decent stuff about DUST warfare.

    now to work up the community for one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Yes, I have to admit it is one of my bigger concerns... I like my LR's, but they are more or less unplayable given the rule restrictions and high point cost... I mean unplayable as an efficient option, yes they work, but comparing how quickly the 250+ point transport tank dies to the 40 or so point cost Razorback? Some options with weapons that you can never realistically fire all of them in a turn, etc... Cheap Melta everywhere makes the big tanks less usable overall for me :-) 'course, just my opinion as always, YMMV...

    Have to admit I am a bit concerned that if the game becomes even bigger, more "stuff" on the table, it will either be so "simple" or worse, easily broken...

    And, yes, really hoping that some good game groups form for the other games out there, not necessarily to replace 40K, but...

    ReplyDelete