Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Next League...

Well, is looking like an escalation league.  Starting at 250 points.  2 weeks at each level (250, 500, 1000 and 1500 points).  The first month is kind of pointless really.  Hard to put together a coherent force at that level.  Too many weird rules as well, and annoyingly easy to break the game, or at least it was in 5th ed...  I guess we'll see if that continues.  Just really worried about silliness like a Grey Knight army consisting of a Strike Squad for the required "Troop" combined with a Vindicare Assassin.  Add 5 points on an upgrade and you have 250 points.  5 powerful Marines with Storm Bolters and Power Weapons and the single most brokenly powerful figure in the game...  Just off the top of my head, but really seems overpowered...  Especially with so very little that can effectively deal with an Assassin at this level.  Mind that is just the first thing that came to mind, I have no doubt that a lot of folks will be bringing silly things...  So, I'll get in my 2 games/week and bide my time I guess.  Give me time to paint up more of the Grey Knights.

With Chaos releasing in a week or two, I think I will be feeling less guilty fielding what I consider a really powerful Army, bordering on overpowered...  Well, it IS overpowered in some combos, but the Inquisition does not interest me at all, I share that Lupine distrust of them...  And with the Wolves at several points willing to go to war against the Inquisition and the Grey Knights.  They share my deeply ingrained "No One Left Behind, No Matter What" feeling, and to abandon allies who fought beside you is unthinkable and unforgivable.  So, there is THAT part of the background of the Grey Knights I find "distasteful", but keeping myself to the actual Knights for the most part...  Well, now that Chaos will be everywhere...  It's them or my Dark Angels.  I like them both, but the DA are REALLY one dimensional at the moment.  Mind, that dimension kicks much ass, but really I get kind of bored just playing a list that is SO repetitive (Spam I'd say, but I rather like Spam Musubi...)...  Tempted to start stripping and repainting my ancient Wolves...  Mostly out of stubbornness, to prove that I can indeed win with them against the newer and what I consider more powerful codexes....

Back to the league, I have to admit not liking the Apoc and Tournament being held in Danville.  Not a huge deal, but in general feel we should hold the tournaments where we play the games...  But playing in a different place might fun for a change of scenery...  Probably doesn't help my only experience with Danville is an ex-girlfriend :-)  So, I might be looking at it the wrong way, but in general it reminded me of Joliet (I grew up there) in the "not a happy place" kind of vibe I got driving around and visiting... I haven't played Apoc, but I think I just might have enough minis to do so :-)

4 comments:

  1. So are mech lists dead now? Do infantry lists with lots of guns now rule the day?

    I had really been thinking about getting back into the game. I have a boatload of unpainted Chaos marines in a box somewhere, but the price of the codex is making my stomach turn.

    I really want to play WWII bolt Action, so have been thinking about trying to sell off all of my 40k stuff.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not sure I'd go so far as to say that "Mech is dead", but that resilient Infantry are doing quite well for now... Either large groups that can absorb casualties or good armor/FnP/whatever. Play testing the Wraithguard, they were insanely resilient with Eldrad/Farseer granting re-rolls... My BA did really well at times just taking bucket loads of shooting and shrugging it off through armor, cover and FnP... At times, other times I had my CPT in 2+ armor and FnP roll 3 1's on 4 bolter wounds followed by a single FnP to buy another turn alive for him... I had a heck of a time dealing with the massed fliers/heavier armor at distance, but a lot of armies I think would be able to. I prefer mobility to longer ranged firepower... I think that Scoring units are more important than they were in 5th, but the secondary VC's are huge, so cannot be ignored... If only the Eldar had the options most modern codexes do for small units of Guardians w/Heavy Weapons or large units with several... As it stands now, while they have the best Psyker defense I am not convinced they can fight on even footing with their codex 2 full editions behind. Psykers can do some amazing things, and most everyone else losing their "veto" ability for your buffs mean they are REALLY reliable, just that most of the things being buffed simply are not as good. War Walkers are OK, but only 2 hull points each... But in a "fun" environment I think they'll do OK... Chaos, well looking like they'll be the next one on the power spiral, and the one to beat...

    Yes the change over to hardback only for physical media is looking "less fun". They DO have the slightly cheaper iPad option, and soonish they will have it on other (non Apple) platforms, but... OTOH, the Chaos book is looking quite nice, at least what I've seen of it, and they should be a fairly powerful and easy to customize army...

    Bolt Action is looking nice, and if I didn't already have a massive IG force :-)... More tanks might be coming my way though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paul. I always appreciate your thoughts on the game.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) Eh, mostly rambling while I work... Eldar DO have Pathfinders who are the best snipers in the game IMO... The potential for AP 1/2 shots with BS 4 and great cover saves (while ignoring terrain themselves)... So with Pathfinders and Farseers I think the Eldar have some potential now... Just that unfortunately the army I played in the manner I played it would counter it completely. My Sternguard with CPT Tycho along with the Whirlwind were really "Headhunter" units. With the no cover save ammo for the Bolters, I brought them down, singled out and killed things like IG Command Squads, etc. that were hiding in the mass of troops for a cover save/camouflage... I did not intend to hunt Eldar, but it would do a number on them... OTOH, I'm the only one playing that unit at the moment, so against a lot of things like the Necrons, GK and upcoming Chaos... Well :-)

    ReplyDelete