Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Next League...

Well, is looking like an escalation league.  Starting at 250 points.  2 weeks at each level (250, 500, 1000 and 1500 points).  The first month is kind of pointless really.  Hard to put together a coherent force at that level.  Too many weird rules as well, and annoyingly easy to break the game, or at least it was in 5th ed...  I guess we'll see if that continues.  Just really worried about silliness like a Grey Knight army consisting of a Strike Squad for the required "Troop" combined with a Vindicare Assassin.  Add 5 points on an upgrade and you have 250 points.  5 powerful Marines with Storm Bolters and Power Weapons and the single most brokenly powerful figure in the game...  Just off the top of my head, but really seems overpowered...  Especially with so very little that can effectively deal with an Assassin at this level.  Mind that is just the first thing that came to mind, I have no doubt that a lot of folks will be bringing silly things...  So, I'll get in my 2 games/week and bide my time I guess.  Give me time to paint up more of the Grey Knights.

With Chaos releasing in a week or two, I think I will be feeling less guilty fielding what I consider a really powerful Army, bordering on overpowered...  Well, it IS overpowered in some combos, but the Inquisition does not interest me at all, I share that Lupine distrust of them...  And with the Wolves at several points willing to go to war against the Inquisition and the Grey Knights.  They share my deeply ingrained "No One Left Behind, No Matter What" feeling, and to abandon allies who fought beside you is unthinkable and unforgivable.  So, there is THAT part of the background of the Grey Knights I find "distasteful", but keeping myself to the actual Knights for the most part...  Well, now that Chaos will be everywhere...  It's them or my Dark Angels.  I like them both, but the DA are REALLY one dimensional at the moment.  Mind, that dimension kicks much ass, but really I get kind of bored just playing a list that is SO repetitive (Spam I'd say, but I rather like Spam Musubi...)...  Tempted to start stripping and repainting my ancient Wolves...  Mostly out of stubbornness, to prove that I can indeed win with them against the newer and what I consider more powerful codexes....

Back to the league, I have to admit not liking the Apoc and Tournament being held in Danville.  Not a huge deal, but in general feel we should hold the tournaments where we play the games...  But playing in a different place might fun for a change of scenery...  Probably doesn't help my only experience with Danville is an ex-girlfriend :-)  So, I might be looking at it the wrong way, but in general it reminded me of Joliet (I grew up there) in the "not a happy place" kind of vibe I got driving around and visiting... I haven't played Apoc, but I think I just might have enough minis to do so :-)