Wednesday, June 19, 2013

So, next Eldar army for me...

Well, broke down and got my second "Finecast" figure...  The Eldar Spiritseer.  I have not opened the clamshell yet, but it looks pretty good.  I have a bit more confidence in this as it is a new sculpt rather than a retread from the metals.  So, yes, I am continuing my Wraith based armies I think...  Testing the "flamer armed" Wraithguard next, I think they have the potential to be excellent shock troops against a LOT of the local armies.  Will be using my ancient Ghost Warriors as them:


So, a bit on the smaller side and on the old 25mm bases rather than the new 40mm ones, but...  It IS WYSIWYG and armed correctly with a flamer...  OK, some do have the Shuriken Catapults, but...  Ironically I ended up with 3 of these and 2 of the Shuriken armed ones...  Close enough :-)...  In any case, T6 Fearless Troops armed with AP 2 flamers?  And they no longer have the 1/6 chance of stupidity?  Down side being their cost of 45 points each...  Still, roll them out of a Wave Serpent and watch a lot of armies just cry...

WRT the rest of the force, I will be fielding my Scorpions as flankers most likely, some Dire Avengers as general utility Troops, the Dark Reapers as "We Kill Marines, even on bikes" heavy support...  I am REALLY liking the War Walkers AND the Wraith Lords...  Can't see spending $120+ on the Wraith Knight yet, but I am guessing that will be an eventual purchase to go next to my ancient Warhound class Titan and Eldar Tempest heavy tank...  Neat, and while I am NOT on the extremely negative side like some folks, I just do not see it doing all that much for the armies that I actually play.  Or at least not that much more than a new Wraithlord, of which I have "a few"...

A bit torn on the potential use of say, a Wraith Seer from IA 11...  Clearly something written for 5th edition, and I traded to get one of the old Confrontation Elves constructs for the stand in figure...  Might be insanely powerful in combination with a Spirit Seer as the other HQ (we only play single FOC games here) giving the Wraiths FnP, etc...  And he DOES have a 5++ save and access to a d-cannon for a heavy weapon...  Neat, but really what would that do that I cannot already do?  Honestly, the old Fighter flier is more tempting just because it is a cheaper version of the new Crimson Hunter...  OK, TOO cheap, so I'd not field it, but...  I do need to think of some way to deal with fliers for my army, none of the options are looking too good other than take CH's and deal with them in the sky fighter to fighter, hoping I go second...

Otherwise I am looking at constructing a Bastion for my Eldar...  Need something NOT Imperial, but with the same dimensions I think...

2 comments:

  1. I've painted up the spiritseer and its actually really good for a fail-cast mini. No bubbles and only a slight bend in the staff, and that came out with a hot water soak. Much,much better than the shitty looking Eldrad model they put out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to admit the Spirit Seer came together quite nicely... I have the base coat started, but I REALLY wanted to get my Hawks painted up to replace or reinforce the ancient RT era ones... The new ones look SO much better, and the Hawks are actually pretty darn good now...

    ReplyDelete