Thursday, November 6, 2014

So, hobbies... I might have too many of them...



So, AAR for the STAW game for the OP3 in the Collective…  Playing a completely cooperative game, we were able to easily defeat the Borg.  Now saying that, we communicated our intent with the Borg and minimized the Attacks.  None of our ships died and we killed the Cube and Sphere easily.  Saying easily, we wound up throwing enough dice at it to get through the insane Defense the Borg got in that scenario.  So, we beat it and since I had already won the “big prize” I was more than willing to just kill Borg.  Much more fun game.  I actually brought a fairly odd build that allowed me to play Romulan Faction Pure and still have the ability to cancel out more than enough attacks to simply outlast anything else if it came to that…  It did not, so I wasted a lot of points to cancel out 12 dice attacks that did not ever happen.  Still, I had a fair number of attack dice between my Valdore and Gal Gath’Throng…  Oh, and the blind buy Dominion Attack ship…  Eh, wasn’t as good as the Vorta Vor, but not a horrible ship.  Now that we will more or less be required to field 3+ ships (2+blind if that is the scenario), getting some good small ships that can actually DO something is quite nice.  Tempted to pick up a few more ships, and probably will to fill out the last few fleets, but it does seem that the game is on hiatus at least locally.

Tempted to pick up some X-Wing to round out my Rebel fleet there, but almost none on the shelf locally.  Tells me either wildly popular or FFG cannot keep up with supply/demand.  Frankly, not so sure I will not get bored quickly with the MUCH more limited builds.  Could just be my perception of the game though.  STAW has a LOT more “deck building” with so many cards, combinations, and factions…  2.5 Factions in X-Wing (OK, “3”), and much more uniform.  So, the complete unavailability of the game locally has at least kept me out of purchasing it J…  LOADS of Lambda class Shuttles and one of the new TIE type fighters on the shelf.  Rebels get E Wings and…  I guess there was a HWK ship as well…  No X or Y Wings or even the Falcon, so not a lot I am interested in.  Shame, I would like to get in a few games but with only a few B-Wings (nice ships, but…) and the Starter X-Wing somewhat limited…  So, CAN play a 100 point game easily enough I guess even if it is not going to go well for me J…  That and the pace for releases from WK is REALLY fast compared to the X-Wing stuff…  Good and bad from that, I find I want fewer of the releases, and while I think they are finally taking steps to rein in the Borg silliness and stupidly powerful card combos…  Hoping it is not too late…

Chatting with one of the new guys playing 40K at the Gopher…  Apparently a lot of folks in IT play the various games offered out there, who knew J ?  He played back in the old days…  4th edition for him, but he sold off his Eldar.  Picked up Orks from the Starter(s) that folks were buying up.  He enjoys playing, but goes in knowing full well he has nothing to deal with AV 14 or the big MCs that are dominating the game at this point really.  Yes, he has a few things that might be able to theoretically do the job, but really?  No.  Any plan relying on “roll lots of 6’s” seems like it will be a bad one.  So, looking like the BA and Tyranids get the next big box set of doom.   Meh.  I play a BA successor chapter, so the BA specific stuff will not be useful or frankly needed as I have a fairly large Fleshtearers force already.  Yes, my wife does get extra points for putting up with all of my “hobby hording” and the sheer numbers of the little toy soldiers in the basement.  But it yet another Marine based force that I can field.  Dozens of Vehicles, probably close to the “actual” number of FT that are still functional at this point in the storyline.  I have well over 100 of the lads, not sure exact numbers.  So, reinforced Company at the least and last I heard, that was a significant portion of their fighting force.  Shame that is only one of my “big” armies.  And still not really seeing any reason to come back from my self-imposed exile from the game.  Tyranids might well become playable, so that is a good thing in and of itself I suppose.

REALLY one of the things that needs to happen is that the dichotomy between the Monstrous Creatures and Vehicle rules for things like Dreadnaughts needs to just go away.  The Marine DN is complete crap compared to the equivalent MCs…  Not even getting to the big ones like the Eldar Wraith Knight, the Wraith Lord is pretty amazing these days.  And frankly, I would put the WL on the very low end of the MC spectrum.  Flying Psychic MCs that are all but immune to the overwhelming bulk of the basic weapons in the game?  Yeah, sure, no problem…  What could go wrong?  Oh, it can guarantee casting Invisibility on yet another MC so it too can be immune, even in HtH?  Sure, why not two?  So, Vehicles ARE better in this edition, but still lag FAR behind MC.  I think they need to scrap one or the other and be consistent across the board.  The Grey Knights are an army that has BOTH in the same slot.  With the death of the Str 8 (for 5 points) TL AC arms, I do not think many people have been fielding their DNs in favor of the Dread Knights which do almost everything (Not the enhanced Aegis suit, but really, who is bothering to cast things ON Grey Knights?  EA does not help deal with Blessings, etc….) the DNs do, and FAR better…  And cleaning my basement I have…  Well, a LOT of DNs J…  Inheriting several armies and those days when the house on Green Street was briefly a GW store (and when we had a LOT more spare money for hobby toys) left me with a whole bunch of the things.


So, back to painting my Warmachine Dwarves…

No comments:

Post a Comment