Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Wednesday on Campus, Armada and some X-Wing stuff...

So, first interview out of the way...  I thought it went well enough, but it was quick.  I do tend to answer the questions quickly and more to the point than some.  This IS a job that I think that I could do well as I know most of the technology and people involved.  Got the MS and the requisite experience so it is a good time for me to be moving.  I just hope that I get an offer.  Well, more than an offer as I would accept any offer that is in the same salary range...  Was told I am getting my title corrected and a small salary increase with it.  Is small,  it it is enough that it ALMOST makes up for the year I got the "below average" raise while my line still resided with Math.  ONLY 1%, but as any further raises are based on the existing salary it is more or less permanent unless I get another job elsewhere.  Of course that was Between that and the other HR silliness, my current organization has used up their free strikes.  Sitting me down and spelling out that I would never be promoted here, and frankly they do not intend to promote ANYBODY here...  Sucks to have put in all that work on the promotional ladder...  well all the extra work to become a Manager and then IT Director frankly.   And the exodus has begun with one of my former people accepting an offer from another group.  Shame, she was one I saw great potential with, but I did advise her to go when it became obvious what the situation on the ground here was.  And she is only the first I suspect.  Much faith has been lost in our leadership team as things unfolded over the last few years.  Discouraging hearing from one of my most talented and motivated (former) people that he was done volunteering for extra work and he was ready for a new job as he got to the point where he COULD be promoted but not really being in the organization combined with the freezing of any potential promotions by our management...  Well, he has his resume ready...

If I DO get the job and get to build the team as indicated in the interviews...  Well, I suspect that I will be recruiting more of my former team.  The current organization had the opportunity to set up as a large rival organization and have a good, solid structure that would allow us to get and retain the best talent, but instead...  Well, other directions won out and I suspect that it will be a rough few years.  Hey, I could be wrong, but so far things are playing out exactly the way I predicted...  A bit slower as there was an artificial stasis while the hiring freeze was in place, but things are moving quickly now.  Doing what I can to protect myself and my people, but the fires are already starting.  Who knows, it might all just work out, but my experience warns me to be prepared for it not working well...  And if I'm honest, my motivation to give a shit is pretty well bottomed out at this point.  So, I'll do my job and make sure MY stuff does not burn, but...

But back to gaming...  Armada this evening as I missed the League Day, but we can make up the games...  So my Rebel fleet will hit the field.  Only played once in the last several months, so rusty I am...  But it is a fun game.  So hopefully Joel won't kill my fleet TOO quickly....

X-wing just had a FAQ drop.  Pretty major changes with only a few rules changes.  The big one was that an upgrade called Deadeye got changed to "Small Ship Only" meaning the severely under-costed "Contracted Scout" in the JumpMaster 5000 cannot use it to launch Torpedoes.  I would have gotten rid of the Elite slot altogether along with raising the cost, but this woks too I guess...  We'll see.  In Europe the 3 Scout builds have been winning a lot of events which I suspect prompted the change.  We did NOT see much of that here locally, I think I only saw one player with the true U-Boat/Wolfpack/whatever list...  We saw a LOT of the Imperial Ace builds that do well against it and with the death of the Rebel lists until Wave 9...  That was the winning build.  Now?  I think the Rebels are in a MUCH better position.  The Imperial Defenders are VERY good, and the Emperor is still (IMO) overpowered, but beatable.  My own build for the last League is REALLY powerful and while not "set and forget", it has a chance against most things.  Biggs did also get a bit of a Nerf, but even so...  And now S&V get some more REALLY good things.  Heck, even the poorly costed M-3A Scyk is up there in the "competitive" range...  But more importantly, they have good Aces and the new Lancer class ship looks like it will shift the balance HEAVILY toward them.

Trying to get another event for 19 November...  We'll see if I can swing it...  Something more casual as we settle in for the new reality post FAQ...

No comments:

Post a Comment