Friday, January 17, 2020

Jan, after the point changes in X-Wing and "life stuff"


Well, been in “Diet Mode” for a while now…  Seems like it is working quite well this time.  My wife and I switched over to the “WW” (“Formerly ‘Weight Watchers’”) a few months ago now.  The system has been working amazingly well for me as I went from having plateaued at ~250 pounds to now hovering in the 220 range.  Previously I was working out very regularly and through the Fitbit app tracking my steps and caloric consumption.  Turns out that was not what I really needed.  For instance on days when I say, forgot to pack a lunch I’d just wander over to grab a few slices of pizza and think nothing of it really.  Tracking the calories of that led me to believe I was well within my set goals and running a caloric deficit.  Probably was, but not as much of one as I had thought.  Now, on the WW system I have 33 points for my day.  And a single slice of NY style pizza is 17.  And now, not having that for a “quick and easy lunch” I seem to be losing weight quickly.  Since I weighted 238 on entry to the Army, I have long since passed that mark.  Mind, not really a good goal, I was FAR from in shape when I joined.  For my first deployment I probably started at ~180 or so.  I went from 238 to 168 when I was in Basic.  NOT a recommended way to lose weight as that was during an abbreviated OSUT (One Station Unit Training) that got cut to just the vital things as Iraq invaded Kuwait just before I reported.  Was supposed to be 16 weeks with a break in the middle, weekends off, etc…  But got cut to just 9 weeks of fairly intense training.  In any case, I was in the best shape of my life when I reported to Ranger School weighing 205.  Not sure if it is realistic to shoot for that as a goal, but it is certainly within reach now.  Some of the side effects of the weight loss being that I am now back to wearing jeans the size I wore in high school…  Have shelved the much larger ones for now as they are just ludicrously baggy on me.  Odd things like the “normal” boxers I wore being far too large and so those have rotated out as well.  Wearing things that looked like sausage casings on me a few months ago and they are loose to the point of being baggy.  Neat I guess and a lot of the clothing I wore while working in Chicago not long after my time in the Army/Guard is fitting well enough.  Amusing I suppose that the stuff I carted around for decades on the off chance that “maybe I’ll wear it again” is now on the hanger in my closet. 

Running is a big part of my workout routine.  I am NOT a particularly good runner, which would be my brother the marathon runner (he actually competes in the real ones like Chicago, Boston, London, etc…).  I run because it is a good way to build my endurance and actually lose the weight.  Not because I am fast or enjoy it, it just works.  Not exactly going blazingly fast, I’m in the 12 minute mile range, so a slow jog…  But of course I was never all that fast, I ran 8 minute miles at my best.  Of course I could run 20 of them without ill effect, and nowhere near that now am I J  Still using body weight exercises and resistance bands to keep the “prison workout” going for the other 2-3 days/week so I stick to the 5-6 days/week getting in an actual workout.  Going fairly well, but seems to be approaching a plateau and I will have to adjust fairly soon I suspect.  But in the meantime, I am moving better than I have in decades, my endurance is quite high as is my strength and most of the health related issues I was starting to have are cleared up.

X-Wing dropped their points adjustment and a few rules changes/clarifications.  Overall I am quite thrilled with this all.  The biggest change they have made at this time is that Hyperspace (HS) is now a heavily curated format with every Faction going down to a handful of Ship types being legal.  4 for newer ones and 5 for the older ones.  And even if the Ship is HS legal there is NO guarantee that any individual Pilot or Upgrade will be.  For instance Wedge Antiles in his X-Wing was dropped from HS while most of the rest are legal.  Neat I suppose and it should have the effect of preventing stagnation where the obvious best lists become the norm and pretty much all one would see on the table.  Now I am building weird new lists with things like the M-3 Interceptor since it has dropped in points enough to actually be useful.  I am hoping I suppose as I have yet to actually fly one in a game of 2nd edition X-Wing at this point.  My dual Firespray lists have all gone down in points fairly drastically.  The lists overall, Boba Fett is almost unchanged…  His titles all dropped a bit so the way I fly him he HAS decreased in point cost overall…  So, interesting times overall.  My old standard Republic lists are as I said previously no longer HS legal, and having watched the YouTube record of my game that Gold Squadron streamed from Gen Con (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezh61SB5aEw&feature=youtu.be).  The game changed a bit since then and I suspect the list I flew would not do so well.  But in any case these are things I can fly fairly well.  Trying to get more events scheduled at Titan in Champaign “soon” but of course with the Semester beginning next week it is a difficult time to get away from work for many of us working at the University at least…

Legion I am actually getting back to painting, experimenting with some of the GW “contrast” paints.  The Martian Camo patter I am doing the bulk of my Rebels in looks pretty good with GW’s Fleshtearer Red as a base, and with the bonus of that being one of the ancient 40K armies I still have in the Basement of Doom  The Clones are where I am focusing mostly at this point, and they are base coated at least and starting to get some details on at this point.  Playing at a fairly severe disadvantage I think with the Republic army for now with the Imperials I suspect being the major powerhouse force and the CIS Droids looking pretty good overall, at least from a power ranking perspective.  Neither army interests me particularly, though I suspect I could do well with either.  Same for the Rebels at this point for me, they have the “feel” of 40K Imperial Guard or whatever they are called these days…  I have not touched that system since the change to 6th edition and they are on 8th going on 9th I hear… 

Spending time in the basement, I have dug up some of my ancient Flames of War minis while searching for other stuff…  I remember how insanely OP my US Airborne force seemed on the table back in first edition with that system…  I was pretty much only building things for Units I actually served with, so 82nd it was.  The Artillery rules were just silly good for Americans IIRC…  I remember being able to take down the (at the time) king of the hill armies that were almost exclusively German Tiger based forces with my tine group of 82nd troops and Artillery…  Probably why I stopped playing as much, the winning strategies were just not overly interesting to me.  Set up, know that your troopers via their rules were not going to break and run from the mere presence of a Tiger and let the Artillery just pound them out of existence.  I think I have the more recent rule books and will have to look into that game again at some point…  “Tanks” got me back buying a few actual 15mm armored vehicles and so I have US, Brit and even a small German force…  I REALLY like the German Puma, that fits my play style fairly well and it is actually fairly good…  Dies when caught, but…

For 28mm I have my British Airborne that I have started assembling finally.  And with the new paints making camouflage patterns like their WWII smocks fairly easy, I might even get them painted up sooner rather than later…  Will see how things go I suppose…  Dug up my ancient Battletech things as there is a group here looking to revive that and I snagged some on the Kickstarter...

As far as “going”, still kind of in job hunt mode, got a few more interviews but with so many of them recently at least obviously being “Team Lead” positions rather than actual “Management” positions I am less interested.  I have seen and been the “Team Lead” several times in the past and as it always deteriorates to doing multiple people’s jobs for the one person’s salary not something I am overly interested in doing again.  On the other hand the transition from IT worker to IT manager seems to be a fairly rare one, at least rarely successful one.  I see a lot of organizations here who have promoted the good IT person to put them in charge and usually it does not work out so well as the skill sets are very different and that one is good at one does not necessarily follow that one would be good at the other.  In any case, busy, have a steady job and so not desperate.  Makes the interview process a LOT more relaxed for me at least.  That and the sheer number of interviews I have had over the last year or two, by now it is all a known thing and I am perhaps a bit too relaxed about it.  Maybe, I think that the level of confidence I have is a good thing, I HAVE seen just about everything at this point in my own little world, and overall I think have been fairly successful dealing with it.  No rush, as it is said “The Dude Abides”…  When it is time to go, I’ll go…  

No comments:

Post a Comment