Wednesday, June 27, 2012

So, 6th is almost here...

One of the best summaries I've found is here:

http://www.thehogsofwar.com/2012/06/warhammer-40k-6th-edition-rules-summary.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheHogsOfWar+%28The+Hogs+of+War%29

So far it is looking like a lot of my armies are set to get better in many ways...  For instance my Fleshtearers I have played as a Jump heavy "Berserker" force with Death Company.  Rage is now +2 attacks on the charge, Jump troopers now have the same 2d6 everyone else does for Assaults, so a huge potential threat range...   Both Eldar and Marine snipers get better, but Pathfinders are going to be insane.  The "To Hit" roll of a 6 means the sniper shoots the target of his or her choice, and the Pathfinder will be hitting at AP 1...

And that segues into my main concern.  I do think that there will be some potential issues with some of the codexes, especially the 4th edition ones.  Now, a bunch of major FAQ/Online PDF's changes could very easily mitigate this and make is a non issue.  But there are a few things that because they were written for a VERY different system that might cause problems in the current one.  Specifically the Eldar Runes/Ghost Helms and Long Rifles are the ones that I immediately thought of.  The giant "Screw You Enemy Wizard...  I mean 'Psycher'" that the runes of defense causing the 3d6 rolls for all Psy powers is going to remain really powerful, until the rules change through FAQ or a new codex.  The rules for the Rangers/Pathfinders and their interaction with the new "Sniper" rules might make it a bit overpowered in the near term...

I think my other major point of concern is the Allies stuff, combined with the potential 2nd FOC at 2000 points.  Now, I'm not going to say much about allies because I have not seen the actual rules and restrictions as of now...  My hope is that it will be "neat" but not brokenly over powered...  My fear is that it will become a crutch to make even more silly broken combos.  The FOC thing is going to be a concern for big games more, unless of course the "standard game" goes to 2000+ points...  The first major thing might be something like the GK book with the potential for lots of the cheap HQ options and IC's...  Not worried...  Yet :-)

2 comments:

  1. Paul, thanks for following my blog and signing up for the Mephiston Giveaway. You are the winner! Shoot me an email (Contact tab) with your shipping address and I'll get Mephiston in the mail. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo! So, now, I'll just have to come up with an alternate paint scheme to fit him in to my Fleshtearers force...

    ReplyDelete