Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First game of 6th ed Eldar for me...

Things went pretty much the way I thought they would...    Swooping hawks are still overpriced crap, Spiders are decent flankers...  Pathfinders are OK, but will not win any battles on their own.  I simply did not bring enough high STR shooting.  Flanked my War Walkers, should have just marched them behind the Wraithguard block to get Guide from Eldrad...  24 Str 6 shots with BS 3 (guided) might have done a LOT better.  Also, got sidetracked trying to take and hold objectives...  Should have simply marched my Wraithguard block and War Walkers right up the field...  I do think next time I bring a Wraith Lord...  Against DE they just die, but most other things will have a difficult choice with the WG and WL right near each other.

In terms of what next?  I think we start to field 2000 point forces, it does seem the level we are heading to.  Also, I strongly suspect that the Forge World things will be "street legal" for 40K games VERY soon.  With the new rules and new FAQ's, it does seem to be moving in that direction.  I am REALLY looking forward to converting one of my many ancient Wraith Lords (Yes, they are "Eldar Dreadnoughts", a few of the Vampire class ones) to be a Wraith Seer...  The WG backed by a Farseer and Wraith Seer (giving the WG say, "Feel No Pain" and decreasing cover saves...  Yes, please) seems to be a hugely powerful block...  Not unstoppable, but damn close...  And still lots of points left for the high Str shooting I think we need to play the current game...

So, Troops?  Dire Avengers I guess come back in a Wave Serpent...  To get dropped off on an objective and have the Light Tank do it's thing until it dies to the 3 glance rule...  A small unit or two of my Pathfinders as well...  Getting precision AP 1 shots is "neat", and since so far I've only been putting those shots into fearless units or taking the long shot to try and glance a vehicle, I suspect it will become MUCH better in the longer run.  Haven't bothered with Guardians...  "Eh" seems to be the best I can say about them.  10 man min squads of crap, overpriced troops mean they simply do not stand up well in the current environment just to have "Troops" sitting in the backfield...  Yea, they have Fleet and Assault weapons so I can rush them to their deaths in close combat after an ineffective round of shooting...  No thanks, just doesn't seem to fit the background of a dying race to have ineffective suicide troops...  Back in 3rd ed when I could bring 5 man squads with a heavy weapon, they hit the field for me a LOT, now?  Not so much...

Fast Attack, if Forge World comes into mainstream, then the Hornets are AWESOME, and will get proxied in...  I do think they might become fliers in the current edition...  Eldar getting some sort of interceptor to match the Marine one would be really nice...  Spiders are staying, and...  Well, that's really about it...  IA 11 had some amazing Eldar stuff, Shadow Specters and the like...  The Corsairs are another amazing list, maybe they'll be part of the next Eldar codex :-)...  Especially nice for me because my RT era Eldar ARE old Eldar Raiders/Corsairs and painted up like that...  we'll see I guess...  Looking forward to the 145 or so point Nightwing fighters...

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I have also been thinking that the new flyer rules were probably an opening for the Forge World stuff to become usable in games and tournament play. My problem is that I have an OLD Eldar army. Lot of Guardians (because they used to be good), and few specialty troops, vehicles, etc. Unless a new Codex comes out that help me I can't see how my Eldar are viable in 6th Ed.

    I've been looking at digging out the Chaos Marines I bought off of Chris O and allying them with some Chaos Demons that I had for fantasy.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from the Wolves and Eldar, everyone else's Psy defense is pretty much a 6+ save against the powers, and there is no way to stop the casting of buffs, etc... Again, Wolves and Eldar still (for now) have a real defense, but all of the sudden a LOT of the powerful but rarely successful powers look a lot better. Chaos actually looks like they'll do well..

    I agree the Guardians are craptastic now, and a shame really as I have a LOT of them from the ancient times... But looking at the Corsair list and the DE list, I think we have a pretty good indication of where they are going, and when their codex gets redone, they might actually be pretty good...

    IIRC, you had a really nice RT-3rd ed army? I think that except against the DE, the Wraithlords are good, I still like the War Walkers and even the Vipers might do OK, iff they can guarantee going first/coming from reserve... The ability to put 6-7 Str 6 downrange has a decent chance of a TKO on most light/medium vehicles... :-) TKO for the 3 glances/you're out rule...

    Specialty troops I'm still not sure of... They are costed for a VERY different game, and a lot of them have abilities and powers that no longer make sense... Like the ability of the Spiders to buy "deep strike" which is now standard on all Jump Infantry, or the Hawks "I hit vehicles on at worst a 4+ in HtH" when vehicles are now WS 1 or 0 if stationary... Some I do think might work against SOME armies... I REALLY want my Dark Reapers to work, but Str 5 is just a bit short of what I'd need to really hurt vehicles... Still it is a LOT of shots, so maybe...

    ReplyDelete