Tuesday, October 9, 2012

So, new league started, looks like I need a display board and to write a paragraph or so about the justification of the army...  Simple enough with the single squad of Grey Knight Terminators, or the Strike Squad I have mostly done now...  Probably need to get a Razorback ready for the Strike lads as well...  In the low point games the Vehicles are really overpowered...  Next week, GK or maybe my IG lads...  I do miss playing the Praetorians, and 250 is a low enough point value for a quick and hopefully not boring game...

Now something completely different:

The biggest difference between the Apple/Amazon/B&N stores and attendant devices and the Google Play store and the Android devices comes down, at a basic level to a philosophic difference.  As I see it the Google store is more of a "Wild West" or free market system.  Lots of free stuff, no price controls, and no "overseer" watching and taking a piece of the action.  Now, this option is good for people who are comfortable doing things themselves, do not want someone looking out for their "best interests" or who simply do not trust "Big Brother" to control the market.  Having seen/heard about some of the issues with getting Apps out to the iTunes store, especially if it is in competition with one that Apple (or one of their favored partners) have already put out (or plan to put out) there, well...  Not sure exactly why this is allowed/tolerated, but given the regulators are supposed to be Feds, and Apple donates a LOT to one particular party...  Hey, I'm just an Engineer, this math is likely beyond me :-)...  But looking at some of the issues with the Apple and B&N stores (I have no familiarity with the Kindles at the moment), I can say the Google option is the one for me.  I understand the business model that the hardware companies have set up for the "sell at cost/a small loss, lock the users in to your store for future purchases", and it does get some good hardware out here for folks to use.  Just the whole cost of the device should be looked at before purchasing I think, same as for the subsidised phone contracts from the big carriers. Another topic though...  Right now I am trying to muddle through the good reasons why here at the University, going with the Nexus 7 over a Kindle or Nook is the right call.  Kind of a foregone conclusion the iPad is right out with it's price tag and the "OS issues".  Mind, we will be setting up one of the Apple servers and maybe management of these things will be easier than we have found thus far.  Still does not alleviate the huge price tag, nor does it address the iTunes issues I/we have.  So, keeping it to the 7" models my testing with the Nook and the Nexus have shown the Nexus to be far superior for my purposes.  The walled garden of the B&N software store, and vital pieces of the software NOT being in that particular garden mean I would have to root the device, use Alpha or Beta software and hope that people just keep writing the software for free...  The big problem I have always had with Linux as an Enterprise solution.  Fine for a hobby machine or personal one where you have more time than money, but managing hundreds of machines, many with slightly different hardware or software in use?  No thanks.   So far the only one NOT working natively is the Microsoft Lync 2010 stuff, and even if it did work, the University is NOT set up to support this.  So, some time on that for MS to update the software and the University to move to the new version.  Then VoIP phone native on the device.  As it is now, I use the VMWare to run a virtual Win 7 machine and it works through that.  Not perhaps the most elegant solution, but it does work...  :-)  Off the normal topic for here, but what I'm doing at work these days...  Mostly just trying to get all of my thoughts in order, helps I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment