Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ah, hobby funk...

Yeah, a bit annoyed in general...  Guess I'm just not really finding I am enjoying 40K as much as I think I should be.  More or less cycled through my older armies, though I have not fielded my Praetorians or Eldar much...  Opposite problems there, the Eldar are at the moment hopelessly outclassed by the modern stuff and the IG are more powerful than ever I think.  Now, one of the locals who is actually a really good player argues that the Valkyrie/Vendetta (though honestly, who has ever seen them fielded as anything other than a Vendetta for the 3 x TLLC?) is actually not overpowered, in fact severely overrated...   Me, I come down on the other side of that argument as the Ven can do a LOT for it's 130 or so points, remain virtually immune to counterfire and be taken in such numbers as to just be silly...  SO much cheaper than the modern DA/Marine fliers and while it does only have BS 2, the main weapons are twin linked and freaking Las Cannons!  So, the AV 11 that is fairly standard on most modern fliers is just tissue paper really, and the Ven should down one enemy flier/turn on average rolls...  Yes, it might well have issues taking down a wall of AV 14 tanks, but why bother?  They do not score, just kill every Chimera then start shooting the smaller squads of Infantry that survive the explosions...  The Transport capability, while neat, I think is really not necessary to the current environment...  Saying that though, I can easily put the Platoon Command Squad with 4 flamers in there as a Scoring unit that I can air drop in if needed...  A bit risky, or I can just hover the flier for the late game objective grab or toast up something that is packed in behind say, an Aegis line...

And, yes, I HAVE a Vendetta...  Well, I magnetized the weapon load out, so could easily have either...  It just feels "unfun" to play that, especially the way I'd play my IG "Light Rifles" company...  Not really "light" or "rifles" :-) but...  The Artillery in the form of a Basilisk and Colossus (IIRC, the Str 6, AP 3 no cover save one) as separate units...  Probably a LR Vanquisher as a third Heavy.  Having faced them, screened and screening my Artillery, I think it would be a terrifying thing...  One Company Command squad with the Artillery officer at least, PCS to fly around...  At least one big Platoon to mob up and screen the Arty.  Heavy Weapons teams to set up and take pot shots and keep the Enemy honest... SO many shots outbound...  Even at BS 3, should be quite good...  Like I said, probably too good...

That's just it...  Barring severely bad luck, it is a REALLY powerful army.  Not unbeatable by any means, but at such a severe advantage against all but the over the top Necron flying circus...  And even that I think has to be VERY careful...

Though, there are some interesting Kickstarters out there: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/649754189/28mm-steampunk-inspired-heavy-weapons-and-carriage?ref=users  Looks neat, and VERY much in line with the Praetorians I have...  I'll be keeping an eye on this, but with the motorcycle being picked up tomorrow...  Money is a bit tighter until I sell the old bike...

So, getting a 1996 Honda Magna...  750cc engine, V4...  So a bit more powerful than the Silverwing...

2 comments:

  1. Anyone not seeing the value, damage output and great armor of a Ven/Valk is seriously blind. Look to all other current books and their fliers. All are either cheaper with worse armor and weapons or more expensive and can do less.
    Hmmmm.....armor 12 front, 3 twin link lascannons 130 points. What compares to that? Stromraven-nope. Dark Eldar fliers-nope. Necron fliers-nope. Orks-nope. Chaos -nope. The Ven/Valk out clases them all. Any idiot can see that. Anyone missing this is either blind, dumb or just a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree... He does play very 2 dimensionally... Does fairly well, but we do not have the mass of fliers that can hurt the AV 14 hulls regularly... Guessing he has not faced an aggressive IG air force...

    ReplyDelete