Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Blogs disappearing...

  Wow, so the arguably most popular and pro-GW rumor site that a lot of folks used to visit has been taken down by GW asserting DCMA claims...  Seems an odd way to grow your fan base and increase sales, but what would I know.  So a fair number of folks are talking about boycott or the like...  Will I?  Not exactly... To be fair, I haven't really been buying all that much over the last few years...  Though thinking back, between the Rulebook and the Codexes at their current price point along with a few boxes of minis I'd guess it is several hundred dollars...  Not a huge amount by any means, but...  Guess this is just one more data point or straw to keep in mind when considering what TO purchase in the future.  I'm going to buy the rumored Eldar Codex when/if it hits in June, but...  The books going to $50 each and hitting every other month has already mostly priced me out of the "gotta have them all" mindset.  $50 for poorly edited and not really all that well done work, looking at the Dark Angels from a player's perspective?  No, burned me once, I'm going to be more cautious going forward.  Might even be a good time to stand back and see what plays out for the next 6-9 months.  As of right now, the game itself is spinning pretty far out of balance with a VERY few overpowered armies making the game almost pointless to play competitively..  I'm not exactly lacking for army choices, just that the game itself seems to be broken.  The Tau seem like a step in the right direction, but they missed a HUGE chance to address the balance issues with their "Death From the Skies" book...  But laziness struck, and it was 95% simply reprinted materiel and it was "Direct Only" meaning they were essentially cutting the LGS out...  Not a good idea as a manufacturer, but again just an Engineer, not a sales type...  The math seems fairly obvious though, more places selling more of your product would seem to equal more profit...

The last time a fair number of us locally got tired of the GW silliness we picked up Warmachine.  For several years that was a staple game at our local game store, but it died out about the time the 2nd edition of the game came out...  Again, locally.  Might be time to revisit that.  Rumors of Confrontation coming back were hot and heavy a while back, but seem fairly quiet these days...  Another of the odd but locally popular games...

Seeing X-Wing here and heard it was pretty good...  And the fact that Dave can't keep it on his shelves tells me that it is likely to be another good one...   Guessing I'll be picking up some of them.  At the VERY worst, I'll have more Rebel fighters patrolling my desk here at the office...  Right next to the big Warhammer class Mech (BT) and Wolfen from Confrontation...  Yeah, the Werewolf figs decked out in my Clan's kilts do get a few odd looks here and there, but whatever...

1 comment:

  1. Been seeing good things about Infinity too. And yes, X-Wing is a whole lotta fun. While I was at Little Wars I bought the new Hammers Slammers Rulebook and have started to give it a read through. Really thinking about going to 15mm for larger sci fi games (several squads to a company). I do have some of the Elven stuff for Warmachine, just not painted.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete