Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Back to X-Wing... Post Gen Con adjustments


So, finally back to playing some X-Wing…  Settled mostly on the standard squad of Anakin/Obi-Wan and Ric:

Anakin Obi Wan Ric2 (199)
Anakin Skywalker — Delta-7 Aethersprite
62
R2 Astromech
6
Delta-7B
20
Ship Total: 88
Half Points: 44 Threshold: 3

Obi-Wan Kenobi — Delta-7 Aethersprite
47
Sense
5
R2-A6
6
Calibrated Laser Targeting
4
Ship Total: 62
Half Points: 31 Threshold: 2

Ric Olié — Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter
42
Daredevil
3
R2 Astromech
4
Ship Total: 49
Half Points: 25 Threshold: 3


Not really anything left for a Bid, but Obi-Wan becomes essentially un-blockable and Ric?  Well, I have not flown with Daredevil yet but it does look promising.  The Gen Con champion’s list was this with Predator on Ric.  I have played that and while occasionally useful I frankly would probably have simply dropped it and kept the extra 2 points for a bigger Bid…  Or Spare Parts on Anakin perhaps…  Have to say I am missing the Juke on Ric…  That was really good, and perhaps too good?  But in any case I am having a blast flying Obi-Wan and Anakin’s ships at the least…  MAYBE a third Jedi in there?  The 186 Squadron had some good success with one of their lads flying Anakin and 2 Jedi with Sense/Spare Parts to block and jam the heck out of the board while Anakin skirted and was the hammer of opportunity when he could snipe a bit of Damage in…  While that does seem quite good, it is not really my play style frankly, I’m just not that good at the whole “Blocking” thing…  And of course when I see a lot of I4 and below Blocking is simply not a thing I can do.  With the other Republic list that is doing quite well at the moment being a Sinker Swarm there will be no blocking in any case, just hoping to do a LOT of Arc Dodging.  For me, this is where my setup with Ric separate from the Jedi shines…  The Swarm must try and chase one or the other down.  Once the choice is made, the other element hits in the flank and usually does a bit of damage.  Hoping to get them to turn and try to chase the now running flanker.  Allowing the other element to take its turn as the one hitting a flank and stinging them a bit.  Slow process and requires patience, but when it works it is solid.  Having Regeneration allows me to dive in, take a bit of Damage and then swoop away to regenerate Shields and Force…

Have the next event coming up in October it seems, perhaps I can schedule a local kit event before then…  I’m a far more casual TO/player so maybe?  Looking to get more games in, so we’ll see I suppose…  Legion game coming up next month as well so I suppose I should make an effort to get at least some of that fully painted…

Job hunt?  Well, the initial finalist run ended in another “thanks for playing”…  Still, I did get to the point where they flew me down to Texas for the interviews and presentations.  And I was REALLY in serious contention to become a VP…  That is pretty darn good.  I thought I did well but was clearly not what they were looking for.  On the major plus side, the short-term stress of moving there is gone, but it has certainly cemented my decision to make this move.  Even Maggie is on board, so mostly looking in the AZ/TX area at this point.  More applications submitted and even had a brief screening chat with one, so we will see I suppose…  Balances out yet another “thanks for playing” from another place in AZ…  With the sheer volume of applications I am sending out, it is of course unsurprising that the majority end in a “no thanks”, but maybe one or two will be successful?  Accuracy through volume as the “typical US Army” response would go…  Or in my case, the “Military Safety Factor” for demolitions work being find how much you NEED to do the job and double it.  Not concerned with “neat”, just results.



No comments:

Post a Comment