Monday, August 5, 2019

Ah, Gen Con and X-Wing...


So…  Flew in another Gen Con this year.  Far more successful I think but still crashed and burned by the end of the day.  I COULD have probably made it to the end of the day, but honestly after playing Aces for 5 LONG games I was just not really looking forward to 2 more games that would likely go to time and since I am doing the Ace thing, it is “put on an Arc Dodging exhibition or die”.  I wound up going with my first choice of:

Anakin Obi Wan Ric (192)
Anakin Skywalker — Delta-7 Aethersprite
62
R2 Astromech
6
Delta-7B
20
Ship Total: 88
Half Points: 44 Threshold: 3

Obi-Wan Kenobi — Delta-7 Aethersprite
47
Calibrated Laser Targeting
4
Ship Total: 51
Half Points: 26 Threshold: 2

Ric Olié — Naboo Royal N-1 Starfighter
42
Juke
7
R2 Astromech
4
Ship Total: 53
Half Points: 27 Threshold: 3


I flew it with Anakin and Obi-Wan on one flank across from something I was hunting and Ric on the other flank, usually across from the bulk of the enemy ships.  He is essentially bait.  I got every single player I flew against to try to chase him down.  USUALLY in vain…  But if you ignore him, he hits your Flank and he does hit HARD especially with Juke.

Bat reps?  Sort of, it all got a bit blurry there for a bit…  First game was a loss against an Imperial Ace list.  This was my theorized absolute hard counters… 2 I6’s even if mine moves last is just too much for my I5’s to handle.  Still was surprisingly close.  Second game was against an awesome Canadian player flying a Rebel “beef” list.  Lacked the I6 Wedge however and so my “All Aces, All the Time” list simply flew circles around him while I killed whatever I could catch.  Third game was streamed on the Gold Squadron stream (Linked here).  Flew against a Republic “beef” list here.  Ric, Obi-Wan kitted out like mine and 2 ARCs…  Wolfe and a 104th with the 7th Fleet Gunner.  Another long game but I arc dodged quite well, avoided the kill boxes and killed his Ric.  Half points on Wolfe and Obi-Wan (his of course) gave me the 123 – 0 win.  Third game was against someone out of Illinois, local(ish) running the Y-wing swarm with the Ion Turrets and Gunners to double tap…  Scary, but low I meant that I was dodging like my life depended on it…  Spoiler, it did.  So, the 200-0 win there got me to the top group…  Table 9 I think, and there I met another of my nemesis lists…  Resistance Aces, or at least Poe and 3 A-Wings.  I played too aggressive as time was running out and should have realized I was actually winning at that point…  “Stay on target, remember the mission” …  After that I dropped and went to a nice dinner with my lovely wife J  By then I was just kind of worn out from bending over those tables all day and that was probably the better decision… 

Oh, ran into an old HS buddy of mine after 30 or so years while playing, so that was great…  One of the very few I’ve bothered to keep in touch with from that life as I consider it a pretty much completely separate life from my pre/post Army life…

No comments:

Post a Comment