Saturday, December 10, 2011

So, how far along the darker path do I go...


So, on to the league…  Limited choices for who to play next, and so likely to run against the min/maxxed IG list now or at 1850…  This being the last week at 1500, frankly I’d rather just get it over with now J…  Playing IG as well, there is just so much they can bring to the table with that extra 350 points that it starts to get a bit silly really…  So, in thinking about what I’ll be bringing, I find myself building more and more “efficient” lists.  It’s not really that I’m concerned they’ll work as intended; I think they’ll work too well.  And it does let that “somewhat more competitive side” of me out to play…  And that whole power gamer spiral is really hard to get back into the bottle when it gets released… 

Rune Priest (Living Lightning, whatever, rides in Rhino with a GH squad)
GH Squads, min size, Melta (overpowered short range AT for 5 points) or Flamer (it is FREE) in Razorbacks…  I like the old Las Cannon/Twin Linked Plasma Gun turrets, but the TLLC or TLAC works).  It comes to 155/150 points for the light Tank and small but fairly effective squad.  Troops, and I’ll likely deploy out a WG to most of the squads to help a bit…  But you will notice no Plasma Pistol, no Mark of the Wolfen, No Power Weapon/Fist, etc…  Neat stuff, and as a “fluff” player I REALLY like having it on all of my squads, it is not efficient enough for competitive play.  Having ridden into battle in wee metal boxes, I cannot imagine the lads wouldn’t “find” that extra little bit of equipment ( you might be surprised just how much of that extra bit of "stuff" I "found") or that any commander…  Ok any Wolf commander who would have any sort of problem at all with his lads making themselves more effective on the field…

One GH squad in Rhino for the Priest’s ride if I go that route, else he deploys with Long Fangs…

Oh, and Long Fangs...  Loaded out with Missile Launchers, lots and lots of Missile Launchers for my AA duties and general “we shoot other little metal boxes” duties…  So, a unit of 5 Fangs with 4 Missile Launchers is the old 115 point “fill in the blank” unit level like my Scouts and DN’s, etc…  345 points for 12 Missiles shooting at potentially 6 different targets every turn, other than the “we’re not mobile” and “we have no real ablative bodies” problems, I am not seeing a down side…

So, looking at Armybuilder, I have 4 Razorback Squads and 3 Long Fang squads led out by the Rune Priest coming to just over 1000 points.  Likely bring out a Wolf Guard Squad to detail out among some of the other squads and the CML armed one to go in with the Fangs to provide more missile spam and a power weapon in Terminator armor in the unlikely event it comes to HtH…  And I’ll probably add a Scout squad to gamble on the ability to deal with Artillery that will likely sit back in the backfield…  And another 2-3 Razorbacks for the Fangs to provide some rolling cover/deployment aid in the event of “dawn of War” silliness…  Maybe.

So all together a stupid amount of long ranged heavy firepower should it come to a toe to toe slugfest…  Mine is generally more accurate and powerful while the IG has numbers and slightly better transports I think…  But not really the game I enjoy playing.  Too damn effective and not really all that much fun for me, so I can only imagine not much for the other side of the table.  It is one thing if it is a no holds barred environment like a major Tournament, but for a local league a bit much…  I guess we’ll see how annoyed I am Monday and go from there J

No comments:

Post a Comment