Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Eldar, thoughts on an elliptical...

So, as part of my "get my ass back into shape" routine I was spending some time on the elliptical in the basement...  I've always been one who can think a LOT better on the move...  Helped me a LOT when I was off playing Army :-)...

Anyway, I got to thinking...  What would make the Eldar Codex instantly competitive and probably overpowered?  How about doing the same thing they did with the Necrons?  Just declare their Fast Skimmers to be Fliers.  Then, wait a few hours and listen for the distinctive sound of heads exploding all over the Internet :-)...  Yeah, wouldn't work I'm guessing, but would sure be amusing watching the worst codex leap to the top of the heap.

On the other hand let's see what exactly it would do:

Give the Army up to 6 flying transports...  Just like the Necrons.
Give the Army up to 3 Heavy Support flying tanks...  Hmmm, sounds familiar...
AV 12 Fliers?  Check, see them all over the place these days...


So, really what would they do that the IG and Necrons do not already do?  So, other than keeping the power spiral moving up, not a lot different than what already is hitting the table...  Would be a cheap (for GW) and provide a bit of variety to the game...  So, yeah, probably too bored with 40K at the moment...  It just has the feel of a "Beta" product to me, having play tested a number of other systems and done that "programming" thing in the old days...  'course, just my opinion as als=ways, I could be wrong...

2 comments:

  1. Interesting idea...
    I do wish they would update each codex a little sooner rather then just 'ubering' up one codex at a time though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) Yes, I wasn't think that it should be done just to break the next thing in line or make another uber army... Mostly just thinking it would be REALLY nice to see a little variety on the table and a bit better balance. Right now there are a few things that are really "top tier" lists/armies/units, then a few that might in the right circumstances compete with them, then the bulk of the "everything else"... At this point it is just a few things I see as problematic units, and they make a lot of appearances as "All Stars" on the table for an allied contingent or the base army...

    It looks as though a few things HAVE changed in the new DftS book, but not nearly enough, and these changes are not being applied very widely. For instance, my Wolves still have NO flier, nor do they have AAA outside of Forgeworld stuff. I'd still feel like I was playing a list too powerful and mugging a lot of folks if I fielded my Praetorians with their loads of potential fliers... Just not enough defense against the fliers at the moment, and not every army has real access to good ones... :-) Maybe it will get better over time, but how many will still be playing by the time it is "corrected"?

    ReplyDelete