Wednesday, November 28, 2018

X-Wing, did they break Dash?


So…  As I was playing the Dash lists as a “Well, maybe there is something here” sort of thing and have been fairly happy with my ARC/YT-2400 list in what was its final form with Zeb/Intimidation on the ARC and Kannan on the YT…  Well, turns out someone else saw something that is FAR more effective. 

DashRoark (197)
Dash Rendar — YT-2400 Light Freighter
100
Trick Shot
1
Han Solo
12
Perceptive Copilot
10
Outrider
14
Rigged Cargo Chute
4
Ship Total: 141
Half Points: 71 Threshold: 5

Roark Garnet — HWK-290 Light Freighter
38
Squad Leader
4
Tactical Officer
2
Moldy Crow
12
Ship Total: 56
Half Points: 28 Threshold: 3


Now, theirs had no Rigged Cargo for the 7 point Bid.  Me?  I REALLY like the Cargo as it adds another piece of terrain that Dash at worst ignores or at best causes Stress and additional Attack Dice for me.  The ability to just drop the Cargo is huge, and could potentially double Stress an opponent who did not see it coming.  Potentially a Critical or two, but with that being only a 1 in 8 chance, not something to count on. Great when it DOES hit, but… 

In any case, where this one seems like it breaks things is the interaction between Roark, Han Gunner and I 7.  Roark gives I 7 to Dash in the Engagement Phase, he shoots.  Then he chooses to activate Han Gunner who also shoots at I 7.  Gets around the restrictions of not being able to shoot out of the same Arc as the restriction specifies “cannot attack from that arc again this round”.  Han IS the one Bonus Attack allowed by the rules, so no longer a restriction.  Roark can also Coordinate an Action to Dash, allowing him to double Focus, Target Lock, Rotate Turret, etc…  Typically I think going to Focus for the potential modification to both shots.  Brutal as if I can get an “obstructed” shot at Range 2-3 I shoot twice for 5 Dice while the Defender does not get the additional Agility due to the Outrider Title.  Potentially erasing most things Medium Based or below before they get to shoot…

Now, it IS a fragile combination… I 4-5 for movement, Range 1 sucks with only 3 Dice Attacks, and the whole combo hinges on the HWK surviving and being in range/arc to give Actions and I 7 to Dash.  But facing someone not prepared for it?  Like I said, it could very well erase 2 Swarm Ships each turn (thinking TIE/Z-95)…  Things like T-65 X-Wings or TIE Phantoms?  If I catch them in Arc, double tap and barring bad variance I think one just dies each turn.  The Title also allows Dash to run over or land on an Obstacle to remove a Red or Orange Token…  So, Target Locks or Tractors?  No thank you.  No help against I 6 of course rolling in to TL, but…  I still shoot first, so…

The biggest counter play I see against it would be someone who CAN close quickly, or just be REALLY good at Arc Dodging…  Having played against some who are in fact that good (Will and Tyler out of the Peoria are come immediately to mind), I know it can be done…  I suspect this list will be the big fish in the small pond, but when I get to Bloomington or the like, it will get me to the middle tables.  Not bad, just not likely to win me a big event.  WILL be fun though…  Maybe.  I might well go back to using the version with Norra in the ARC as that one is just fun, not competitive…  And frankly I suspect this combination (Roark/Han Gunner) will be one that gets the FAQ treatment as it seems pretty bad...  Just my opinion of course, but...

No comments:

Post a Comment